snowhound

Brake drum

snowhound

I have a 414-8 that I am trying to get the brake drum off of but it isn't budging. I've been spraying it with PB Blaster and have a puller on it.  Has anyone else had a problem removing a brake drum?

Ed

953 nut

Let me start with the obvious question, you have removed the snap ring, right? After removing the snap ring you should use a file to take all the rust and accumulated stuff off the shaft. I have found a pair of pickle forks works well to remove the brake drum.

Image result for pickle fork tool

• Like 2

snowhound

thanks for the reply, I didn't see a snap ring there was a bolt and washer that was on the end of the shaft that I did remove.  I will double check on the snap ring and try the pickle fork.

rjg854

I fought with the brake drum on my 854 for over a month before I was finally able to get it off.  It was a stinker to put it mildly.  And I tried everything I could think of to get the dang thing off.  Heat, soaking, pullers.  I finally ended up with a couple of spud bars and a lot of prying.  But I won, because it was a battle.  Good luck with yours. 

snowhound

Thanks, I'll try that.  I didn't realize how lucky I was when I pulled the one on my 416-8, it came off with the help of two screwdrivers..

• Like 1