Horse Play

RJ58 Steering Wheel/Shaft

Horse Play

I cannot remove the steering wheel roll pin on my RJ.  I soaked it with PB Blaster for two weeks, heated it with a torch, hammered, even tried pressing it out - no luck.  Looks like someone before me broke off a punch or something inside the pin.  Anyways I have wasted enough time on it, so am going to make a new steering shaft and need to come up with another steering wheel because mine is junk.  

Has anyone used the new replacement Cub Cadet steering wheels?  The Cub Cadet wheel is the same as the RJ, but has 11/16" hub diameter that is 40 spline.  I am thinking of having a machine shop bore the hub to 3/4" and drill for a roll pin.

Thanks for any advice. 

Wild Bill in VA

Years ago when restoring my 1961 model 701 I had the same problem with the pin stuck in the steering wheel and shaft. Using a 100 ton shop press it took 7 tons of pressure before the pin broke and the shaft was pushed through the steering wheel. There was no damage to the shaft or steering wheel I just had to replace the pin. Don't give up looking for a RJ-58 steering wheel as somebody must have one for sale being they are quite common.

Wild Bill

Richmond, VA

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

I used one of the splined Cub Cadet steering wheels on my RJ rebuild in 2016.   

001.JPG

002 (2).JPG

015.JPG

004.JPG

028.JPG

036.JPG

032.JPG

001.JPG

047.JPG

014.JPG

014.JPG

002.JPG

008.JPG

008.JPG

004 (2).JPG

001.JPG

Here are the pics of the splined steering wheel on the shaft.    It has a roll pin in it on lower part but not all the shaft in the wheel splined hole.   (raises the steering wheel up)  and I use a chrome cap in the hole to seal.

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger

Redrider01

Looks nice!  

Charles123
11 hours ago, Horse Play said:

I cannot remove the steering wheel roll pin on my RJ.  I soaked it with PB Blaster for two weeks, heated it with a torch, hammered, even tried pressing it out - no luck.  Looks like someone before me broke off a punch or something inside the pin.  Anyways I have wasted enough time on it, so am going to make a new steering shaft and need to come up with another steering wheel because mine is junk.  

Has anyone used the new replacement Cub Cadet steering wheels?  The Cub Cadet wheel is the same as the RJ, but has 11/16" hub diameter that is 40 spline.  I am thinking of having a machine shop bore the hub to 3/4" and drill for a roll pin.

Thanks for any advice. 

Try and air choose with a punch bid on it