Willhaven

Mower blades disengages after mowing an incline

Willhaven

I bought my very first lawn tractor yesterday. It’s a 211-5SB. After mowing an incline yesterday (I went sideways) the blades stopped engaging. It took about 6-7 tried to get the engine to turn over this morning, and the deck still isn’t engaged. Any tips to debug for a novice? Pic of scalped incline and my tractor for reference. Thank you. 

2A28D24C-DE22-4793-A14F-CDF05B56817F.jpeg

60D6A7A3-C864-44BE-99DB-E7240466C746.jpeg

• Excellent 1

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs:

Nice looking machine!  The hill isn't that huge of an incline. The machine should be able to handle it. Could be the belt too stretched? Did the engine eventually turn over? Could also be time for a new fuel filter. Did you try mowing without the bagger? The port on the deck could be clogged. I had gotta a deck that the underside was so caked that the blades would bearly move.

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Thanks 1

Willhaven

Thanks! Yes the engine did turn over eventually this morning and was driving as expected — minus the blades/deck engaging on switch. I’ll disconnect the battery and try to check the belts. 

• Like 1

JimmyJam

Now tell me this: While engine running and PTO switch is off and you flip the switch to ON is there any difference in the sounds? If not it could be the belt (or thrown one). If there is a different sound like engine under workload (lowered RPM) and not engaging blade (whinny sound) than something is bogging the engagement. Also possible the PTO switch is faulty. I am sure others with similar machines can chime in for diagnosis.

JimmyJam

I just realized that this is your first garden tractor. You chose an awesome American-made tractor. #1. Secondly, you probably bought it used and with no manual. That true, well..,there are safety switches within the tractor. #1: you must be in the seat to start engine. # 2: before engaging PTO or shifting into gear you must depress clutch and/or clutch/brake petal. It isn’t shift or mow on the fly. If you alway knew this, then I am sorry for repeating myself. 🙁

• Like 1

Willhaven
4 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

If you alway knew this, then I am sorry for repeating myself. 🙁

I did not! This is great to know. Using your tips here, I was able to engage everything after the second start. I’m not sure if it needed to warm up more, but the blades didn’t engage the first time. When I flicked the deck ON, I heard a ‘tick’ under the hood. Other than that no other sounds. But once it kicked on, it sounded as it should. 

Now I just wish the deck could be adjusted higher. The highest setting is like the middle setting on my old Toro recycler - and I prefer to mow high (4”). 

Thank you!

Edited by Willhaven
  • Like 3

gwest_ca

This manual may help. Sorry I don't know the 200-Series and looking for something on the pto clutch learned the earlier models used a manual pto clutch and the later used electric. If you find the tractor model and serial number post them. May be on the rear fender pan under the seat.

Click on the picture and download from there. 

Garry

• Like 3

JimmyJam

Great! So this time of year you should adjust to the highest setting. Remember you previously used a push mower. It will be just a matter of time before things adjust to the level it needs to be.

JimmyJam

I may have an owners manual for 200-400 series tractors. Let me know.

Edited by JimmyJam

JimmyJam
4 hours ago, Willhaven said:

I did not! This is great to know. Using your tips here, I was able to engage everything after the second start. I’m not sure if it needed to warm up more, but the blades didn’t engage the first time. When I flicked the deck ON, I heard a ‘tick’ under the hood. Other than that no other sounds. But once it kicked on, it sounded as it should. 

Now I just wish the deck could be adjusted higher. The highest setting is like the middle setting on my old Toro recycler - and I prefer to mow high (4”). 

Thank you!

So great. Yes, I always "warm-up" tractor to operable conditions before doing any load-bearing activity. We are working in the same direction. So once you switched the PTO "ON", the mower worked as it should???  You said you heard  a "tick" sound. Did the blades engage and work properly? 2ndly , height  adjustment: The highest (lift) height adjustment is (what I use) will be different than a walk-behind. There may be additional adjustments maybe you can use. Hopefully others will chime in.

Willhaven

Thank you both @JimmyJam and Moderator for the input! Once I take the WH out for another spin (Friday night if not sooner) I'll be sure to upload another image of the serial number.

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

To

:rs:

Skipper

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If you run out of options to adjust higher, a "off the books" trick is to mount over size tires, if there is room for it. Just be sure it will also go low enough too with that tire selection..........

Must say 4 inches is really high IMO. I use 1.5 inch summertime cut, and 2 inch spring and fall. That's app. whats recommended by the lawn gurus in my neck of the woods.

• Excellent 1

Willhaven
34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Must say 4 inches is really high IMO. I use 1.5 inch summertime cut, and 2 inch spring and fall. That's app. whats recommended by the lawn gurus in my neck of the woods.

Where are you located and what grass type? I mow high in the summertime to help shade the soil. it's worked well here in southern Massachusetts (Turf Type Tall Fescue).

Skipper

I'm in Denmark, Europe. Yeah I'm sure climate and grass type has a lot to do with it. Here it is dense fine leave grass, kind of like golf course type I would guess. Don't know why there are souch big difference though. I have noticed that the US grass is much more coarse, almost everywhere I have been over there.

Edited by Skipper
  • Excellent 1

Willhaven

Oh yes, you may have like a bentgrass. If I had to do it all over again, that's what I'd use, and shoot for a golf course fairway :-)

Willhaven

0AA4A426-E2E1-4279-B2E5-AD643D730BAE.jpeg

WH nut

You have an electric clutch, if it acts up again check your battery voltage. If it gets too low the clutch wont engage, and it may explain your cranking problem. Make sure the charging system is working.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This one is wired differently to what one would expect.

The pto switch grounds the electric clutch to apply it.

Go over all the grounds and make sure they a clean and tight.

Worth a look

Garry

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1