Hawk26

WH 516-H

Hawk26

I have a WH 516-H and was wondering if anyone knows if it will pull a "tow-behind core aerator" (for lawns).  I'm told the aerator weighs around 215-230 lbs.  Property is approximately 3/4 acre so it should not take long to complete... maybe 45 minutes of pulling.  Is pulling a heavy(?)  piece of equipment too risky for the 516-H to handle?

Thanks for any help.

Marty

RandyLittrell

It will handle it with no problem!!

Randy

Pullstart

My 8 horse rigs wouldn’t blink an eye at that kind of weight, your 16 will laugh at it!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

It should handle it, but remember the 516h and 518h didn't have the good Eaton 1100 but rather the lesser Eaton 700 transaxle, as long as the property is relatively flat and you keep the engine RPMs up, I see NO problems, Jeff.

• Like 2

cleat

The 700 may not be as good as an 1100 but likely still much better than what is in most machines now and they pull aerator's and small rollers so you should be fine.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
39 minutes ago, cleat said:

The 700 may not be as good as an 1100 but likely still much better than what is in most machines now and they pull aerator's and small rollers so you should be fine.

Yes better than the "Tuff Torq" of today but still no Sundstrand or 1100, just err on the side of caution and all should go well.

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

It should handle it, but remember the 516h and 518h didn't have the good Eaton 1100 but rather the lesser Eaton 700 transaxle, as long as the property is relatively flat and you keep the engine RPMs up, I see NO problems, Jeff.

Hey Jeff, I was under the impression all 3,4, and 500s with hyd lift had the 1100 Eatons and the manual lifts had the 700s.    I have 312s, 417s and 520s with hyd lift and all have 1100s.

Never had a 516 or 518. Did they not have hyd lift?

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Ed Kennell said:

Hey Jeff, I was under the impression all 3,4, and 500s with hyd lift had the 1100 Eatons and the manual lifts had the 700s.    I have 312s, 417s and 520s with hyd lift and all have 1100s.

Never had a 516 or 518. Did they not have hyd lift?

Maybe that's the difference manual vs hydraulic lift thanks for reminding us.

varosd

518,516 didn’t come with hydro lift. Just the manual lift. They did have the weaker Eaton 700. The 520-H and 520-HC of that model year had the stronger Eaton 1100 with hydro lift 

• Thanks 1

cleat

Did any other models get the weaker 700 ?

Every one I have ever owned or worked on from 312 to 520HC has had the 1100.

Cleat

varosd

Wasn’t the 312A with the Easton 700?

others will chime in

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I have a 312A.  It is a manual lift and it has the 700 Eaton.      So, I think the evidence is growing.  3, 4, and 500 hydos with hyd lift  have the 1100 and manual lifts have the 700.

• Excellent 1

clueless
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have a 312A.  It is a manual lift and it has the 700 Eaton.      So, I think the evidence is growing.  3, 4, and 500 hydos with hyd lift  have the 1100 and manual lifts have the 700.

I had a 312-A with the 700 Eaton, pulled a plug aerator with 150# weight on it plus my 285# butt. It will work just fine.

• Thanks 1

Hawk26

Much thanks to all that responded.  I'll be sure to keep the RPM's up!

• Like 1

Tach-a-matic

Mine handled it without any issue.  its childs play for these machines

IMG_7325.jpg

• Like 1

Tach-a-matic

PS

I would have added another 150 pouds if I had it

• Like 1

Al C.

First gear on the eight-speed works great!  Load it up with as much weight as you can ... it will handle it!

IMG_8030.thumb.JPG.ab4c58d79001cbe044bb8f4f97da1f90.JPG

WHX??

Reminder to keep the cooling fins clean and make sure the fan blade it on, It might get a skoch warm but will handle it.

gwest_ca
On 9/8/2018 at 11:29 AM, Ed Kennell said:

Have seen where some exported models got a 1100 Eaton while the North American models got the 700.

What makes it confusing is the online info does not identify the markets. The exported models do have their own model numbers but we do not recognize them.

Even Toro was having trouble and started to add an e for export to the model name - i.e. 312-Ae

Garry

• Like 1

Cetan08

This thread may be old but I just picked up a 516H with manual lift yesterday and it has the 1100 Eaton in it. I haven't ran the numbers on the tag yet but would they sell an export to a local customer? The GT had trans issues when I got it so it came with a replacement pump. It is definitely an 1100 and identical to the one in the GT. Interesting discussion on the 700 verses the 1100.

cleat

Is the pump output pumped back to the rear axle somehow ?

With just a valve, cylinder and some hoses you can have hydraulic lift (or keep the manual lift and work on your arm muscles).

Actually, I would like one of mine to be manual for the mid mount grader to have a preset height.

Cleat

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Cetan08 said:

This thread may be old but I just picked up a 516H with manual lift yesterday and it has the 1100 Eaton in it. I haven't ran the numbers on the tag yet but would they sell an export to a local customer? The GT had trans issues when I got it so it came with a replacement pump. It is definitely an 1100 and identical to the one in the GT. Interesting discussion on the 700 verses the 1100.

Any evidence the 1100 may be a transplant?   :confusion-shrug:

Cetan08

I believe the 1100 is a transplant. Looks as though there was an adapter plate used to install the smaller 700 in these units. For those that would like the 1100. It is a fairly easy swap providing you have access to the linkage parts needed to swap them over.

cleat

Just like swapping an engine from a car or any large swap, having a doner machine is always best as you get all the other little pieces required.