GarySeever

Commando 8

GarySeever

0906181840.jpg.d9ba53c7b338be2180b1a7fc6c51f9d9.jpgPicked this tractor up at auction yesterday. It has a Kohler motor and it is pretty much all there. Just wondering what it's worth and what year it is. Model is 1-4831 and serial # 395060 New to this site thanks.

Edited by GarySeever
  • Like 2

Daron1965

I believe that model was produced in 1968. Value?, depends on condition,  and your location.  Pics would really help.  :text-welcomeconfetti:to the site. 

GarySeever

Not sure how to post pic yet but it looks good i think for the year hood is good grill a couple small dents all guards there deck has been repaired in front paint is pretty good

WHNJ701

condition would be huge factor, out by me they have little value generally under 100 bucks

Ed Kennell

M/N 1-4831 is a 1968 Commando 8  4 speed with a Kohler K-181S-30108D engine.  One tough little tractor with the great 7 slot grill.

Here's mine.

IMG_5987.JPG.2fdbeb530056757e4183299493c6b9e2.JPG

• Like 2

ebinmaine

As stated above it's all about location location location. Just like real estate. Up here in Maine you can't touch a garbage tractor for less than two to three hundred dollars n mostly a lot more than that.

Absolutely anything that runs and cuts is worth $300 no matter what it looks like. Then from there...

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Also, I see you're fairly new here. Welcome to redsquare!

That little 8 horse Kohler is arguably one of the best engines ever made by anybody anywhere. Pound-for-pound it's hard to beat the torque that those things put out for the size that they are. They also use very very little fuel. It's a great little tractor that you could keep and run and work and be very happy with it.

• Like 2

GarySeever
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

M/N 1-4831 is a 1968 Commando 8  4 speed with a Kohler K-181S-30108D engine.  One tough little tractor with the great 7 slot grill.

Here's mine.

IMG_5987.JPG.2fdbeb530056757e4183299493c6b9e2.JPG

GarySeever

Do you know where engine numbers are

Machineguy
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

As stated above it's all about location location location. Just like real estate. Up here in Maine you can't touch a garbage tractor for less than two to three hundred dollars n mostly a lot more than that.

Absolutely anything that runs and cuts is worth $300 no matter what it looks like. Then from there...

Same in my area. With a mowing season typically from end of March through late September early October, anything with a deck is used up and tossed. I regularly search CL and very rarely find these short frame tractors. Usually never with a deck and an asking price of $400-$600 especially with the Kohler. 

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, GarySeever said:

Not sure about the 60s vintage Kohler but in the seventies they are on a black and silver sticker that is on the engine fan shroud.

Pullstart

Well, it’s worth what you paid right?  You got yourself one great worker though, that can’t be argued no matter where you are!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, GarySeever said:

Look for the sticker on the fan shroud  behind the start/gen belt guard.   Some are covered by the solenoid.

Machineguy
35 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Well, it’s worth what you paid right?  You got yourself one great worker though, that can’t be argued no matter where you are!

Exactly, it all boils down to passion and interest for what you like. No one can determine an individuals value for something except for whom cherishs it. I’d be lucky to get ten cent for some stuff that’s priceless to me! Lol 

Have a great time with whatever tractor at whatever price! As long as you’re happy!! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1

Andersen

Got me one of those tractors with mower deck and snow Trower and it's awesome, I'd post pics of it if I only knew how. Can't wait to try out the Trower. 

Pullstart
10 hours ago, Andersen said:

Got me one of those tractors with mower deck and snow Trower and it's awesome, I'd post pics of it if I only knew how. Can't wait to try out the Trower. 

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: @Andersen!

below the text box there is a paper clip and “click to choose files”.  There you can scroll through your pictures to upload :handgestures-thumbupright: