Walhonding520

Starter Clicking

Walhonding520

‘89 520h has been running fine but recently I turn the key and I get a single click from the area of the starter. Happens when engine is hot or cold. I can turn it twice and it will just click then start right up on the third turn. Sometimes I can turn it 30 times with only the click and then it will start right up on the 31st.  Sometimes it will start on first turn. Any opinions?

953 nut

5b8dda5fd499d_1electrical.jpg.cde4429033ea7111e1d65ef7d9d16709.jpg

• Like 4

Achto

:text-yeahthat:  Always do that first.

The issue may also be a bad starter relay or solenoid. The click sound is the coil in the relay or solenoid closing a switch to energize the starter. After time the contacts on these switches get burn spots on them & will no longer make a good contact. The starter relay should be mounted under your battery tray, when you turn the key this relay closes & sends power to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is mounted on the starter, when the solenoid closes it sends power to the starter motor. If you are not hearing / feeling the click at the starter motor, then I would investigate the relay under the battery tray. If you can hear / feel the click at the starter, then I would suspect that the solenoid on the starter may be bad. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

meadowfield

I chased a few issues on my GT14 at the weekend. Finally I thought solenoid... so ran a jumper from the battery to the starter - nothing!

Undid and tightened a few engine bolts and voila!  it was a poor earth, solenoid was clicking, but not a good enough ground for the starter to spin!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Walhonding520

Ok.  I have been through most of the wiring.  Cleaned and checked all the normal issues (battery and connections, fuses and boxes).  Must be the solenoid or a bad ground wire.  

Sometimes I move the motion switch, pto lever and seat switch and it starts but could just be coincidence.  None of the indicator lights for these switches are on when I do this so I don't think it is them.

Achto
23 minutes ago, Walhonding520 said:

Sometimes I move the motion switch, pto lever and seat switch and it starts but could just be coincidence

All of the above switches are held closed for normal starting. If any of these were open you would not hear a click at the starter solenoid.

Check your ground cable at the battery & where it bolts to the engine. The starter gets its ground through the block, so may be loosen the starter bolt & retighten them to try for a better ground. If all this fails then I would try a new start solenoid.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

5b8dda5fd499d_1electrical.jpg.cde4429033ea7111e1d65ef7d9d16709.jpg

:text-yeahthat:I was using one of my tractors the other day to pull the yard cart to pick up some fallen apples for the deer.  The tractor didn’t have a battery so I grabbed one and stuck it in. Tightened the cables and started it no problem. The boys were driving the tractor while I was finishing cutting the lawn in another part of the yard.  I finally drove to the orchard to see what was taking them so long and I saw the tractor sitting there. Caleb said that the tractor won’t start.  I turned the key and just a click.  I monkeyed with it for a minute or two but to no avail. Remembering the above statement, I grabbed my wrenches, looses the bolts and tightened again. This time—success!

I hope that yours would be this easy, but if not, I hope you find it is something simple.  Wiring issues can make you pull out your hair for sure.

• Like 2

Walhonding520

I've cleaned and worked with all the connections I can and still getting same response.  Clicking in the front around the starter or solenoid.  Will fire right up after an unknown number of key turns.  Am I correct in assuming then that I just need to replace my solenoid?  If so, will any general 12v solenoid with the correct terminals or do I need to by a specific part number?

Achto
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, Walhonding520 said:

If so, will any general 12v solenoid with the correct terminals or do I need to by a specific part number?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. If your solenoid is on the starter you most likely have to get a factory match up. I did a quick look & only found them included with a new starter. You might be able to find them separate. If you have a remote mount solenoid then most any 12v one will work.