FatJackDurham

How to remove mower deck pulleys

FatJackDurham

I am sure this comes up regularly, but how the heck do you remove the pulleys off the mower deck spindles? You Tube said to pull them off, which I have tried, but I keep bending the pulley.

I’ve tried a bearing splitter under the pulley, that just bends it, too. I’m using three jaw pullers and have tried two different sizes. I tried a torch, and we-40.

Anyone have any magic spells?

Or, is there anyone who rebuilds decks for fun, and might want to sell me a 42”-er for a 300 series, and would take the old deck and some mule drive hookups in trade?

JAinVA

If you have bent the pulleys this may be to late but here goes.With the blades removed support the spindle area of the pulley you want to remove.Back the nut off but leave engaged to the spindle.Removing the grease fitting will help.Take a piece of brass or aluminum if you have it put it on the nut and beat the spindle down with a BFH.Let us know if this helps.With the newer decks sometimes the key on the spindle  at the pulley area needs to be removed before the spindle will transit through the bearings. 

Edited by JAinVA

FatJackDurham

Didn’t move at all

JAinVA

You may not want to hear this but an angle grinder may be the only answer.I have had to grind the pulley off of more than one.Everything is available so destruction of the pulley and or spindle may be the only option.There are some here that may have some addtional suggestions but if the spindle bearings are shot they need to be replaced anyway.Deck shell is pricey and the aluminum bearing support as well.Everything else while not cheap is easy to obtain.

FatJackDurham

I am thinking along those lines my self

• Like 1

daveoman1966

SOME of the 42" side pulleys have a ridge / lip used to lift off the pulley using a Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover tool.  Auto Zone will rent you this tool for FREE, as long as you return it undamaged, and promptly.  Here is the 42" Left / Right side puley I refer to.  It is pulley # 102072 and has a keyway slot.  There are also some 48" decks that use a similar pulley.

106072a (1).JPG

• Like 1

FatJackDurham

Mine doesn't have any of those indications. I have most of the pullers I need, it's just not budging.

I'll cut the first one off, see if I am missing something. 

FatJackDurham

Well, I ended up cutting off the side pulleys. I was able to remove the center pulley with just a little damage to the upper pulley. I think I can tap it back into shape. But, I now need new side pulleys and spindles.

Does anyone have any? I have seen sets on Ebay, but I wanted to check here first. I'm going to post a wanted ad in the classifieds if you do have some.

daveoman1966

Your are looking for pulley # 109967.  I have none.  

109967a (3).JPG

109967a (4).JPG

• Like 1

FatJackDurham

Thanks, Dave. I figured they were scarce after searching around. Pricey too. I bought two and two spindles on Ebay. 

mikekot3

I buy a lot of new parts from www.partstree.com They are in texas and do a fine job.