TC10284

414-8 Engine bad knock

TC10284

Just recently finished fixing up a 3114k804 414-8 with Kohler 14 Magnum. 

I used this guy just Saturday. I checked the oil, had plenty of oil - clearish black in color (normal looking in other words). Greased everything. Fresh gas. Checked air cleaner, etc. Everything you'd need to do to prep a mower.

Ran it for about three hours straight. Did pretty good. It did an occasional sputter for less than half a second under load (thicker grass). I figured it could possibly be some remaining water that was in the tank. When I got it, it had water in the tank, so I drained everything and put fresh new gas in it. Cleaned/soaked carb. Ran great other than this minor sputter. 

Anyway, today I put a rear discharge deck on it, got the belt tight. Did three stripes in the already mowed yard. Suddenly, the engine starts knocking bad. Still runs. Throttle down immediately and shut off. Can't see anything loose. Crank back up briefly. Still knocking. I'm thinking "Crap...I just got everything fixed. Come on!" I was able to idle it back to its parking spot. It ran fine, just a bad knock in the engine.

Still has plenty of oil and no leaking.

What should I check? I'm going to assume I'm looking at an engine rebuild? 

Edited by TC10284

953 nut
1 hour ago, TC10284 said:

I'm going to assume I'm looking at an engine rebuild

That may be the case, however you may have a problem related to the deck, mule drive or PTO. Back off on the belt tension and remove the belt from the PTO and see if the knock is still there.

TC10284
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That may be the case, however you may have a problem related to the deck, mule drive or PTO. Back off on the belt tension and remove the belt from the PTO and see if the knock is still there.

OK...I went back out there. Took off the deck belt from the PTO completely. Cranked up, let it sit for a minute at idle - No knock. Opened throttle fully - No knock. Put deck belt back on PTO and tightened mule drive - No knock. 

Previously when I had the knocking issue, the PTO was not engaged (blades not spinning), but the knocking persisted. 

What the heck?  

• Confused 1

Jerry77

Can't imagine it is anything seriously wrong with the engine if the knock is not consistent...could it be a pre- ignition ( timing ) thing?  I had a 14 hp kohler that developed a knock after several years of use - sounded like a flat spot on the crank from using it hard  at low rpm's..it finally went away....???? others will probably have the answer.:twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1

TC10284

Could it be a balancer issue? 

TC10284

Does anyone have any more possible clues or suggestions? 

Edited by TC10284

TC10284

I tested it again yesterday evening and it still ran OK. Sputtery, but I still think it has some water left in the tank even after I drained everything, as when the tractor was angled a certain way on a hill, it almost died.