Machineguy

Stover Hit and Miss Engine

Machineguy

I’ve dragged yet another project into the garage. It’s a Type K 1-1/2hp engine that is in great original shape. The guy that had it said his grandfather bought it new to run a big butter churn. It has a broken mounting bracket for the trip latch lever on the governor. Do any of you have some engines like these? I’d love to see some pictures especially the governor assembly!

Any input or pictures is much appreciated. I just really enjoy this old stuff. 

43229EDD-D65A-430B-941D-174078C6B80F.jpeg

0C8D619E-FD5A-470C-8475-F9C2B5ECC461.jpeg

CA4F924E-C310-468D-9DC4-C072DF0E95D9.jpeg

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

dells68

No help here, but that is one nice looking engine!  I love to hear the old hit and miss engines running and have always been fascinated by them.  One is definitely on my bucket list.

• Like 3

RJ Hamner

Not sure if they are still active but there was a Stover Engine group.  Find a copy of Gas Engine Magazine. Lots of “parts guys” have ads along with different clubs/organizations. (At least there was when I used to subscribe)

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I can't give you any direct help there but could point you at a couple of resources.

Owls Head transportation museum up near Rockland Maine has a couple of Resident hit-and-miss experts. Also volunteers go in and out of there.

Maine Antique Power Association has several people involved in it that are into hit and miss engines.

There's one in Massachusetts called the CMS GMA.

Central Massachusetts Steam & Gas Machinery Association.

They would also have some resident experts on board for resource material. Possibly parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mhlmeader

I believe i have the same model stover as you. I could post or send some pictures to help.  Also site called Smokestak is dedicated to flywheel hit and miss or throttle governed engines. 

• Excellent 1

Machineguy
46 minutes ago, mhlmeader said:

I believe i have the same model stover as you. I could post or send some pictures to help.  Also site called Smokestak is dedicated to flywheel hit and miss or throttle governed engines. 

Thank You!! I’ll pm you later this evening! 

Awesome!!

• Like 1