FatJackDurham

When to pull the plug?

FatJackDurham

I finally got the 310-8 running. PTO switch was the issue. I bought this tractor with another for $100, hoping to turn it around and sell it, as the previous owner obviously didn’t care enough about it. It was badly dinged up, no starter, sitting at the bottom of his yard.

I straightened the metal, got a starter, replaced the carb, coil, condenser and points, fixed the PTO switch, replaced the interlock and seat switch, and not it runs strong and seems electrically sound. Total investment, not including purchase, About $170. With the $50 purchase, $230.

Now, the first time I put it in drive, it doesn’t move. 

Before I consider doing anymore work on this, I have to ask for advice. Should I pul the plug? I don’t need this tractor, I have a 416-8, a 520H and a GT14 that are my working tractors. I was hoping to put a deck on this and sell it, but now I need to replace the bearings on the deck I was going to use. I don’t think I can get more than $350 for this tractor with a clean deck in this area. There is a 310-8 with a deck and wagon for sale nearby for $275, that’s not moving.

I could try selling parts out of it. It’s got a good engine, seat, and a couple other items. The body tin is not bad, I could swap it out on my 416 which looks like shiste. 

Or, I could sell it here for cost to someone that wants to pick up the banner or who wants one of this model for their collection.

Give me your thoughts on this.

26924ABF-5EB9-4B74-B836-F1D2217E97BD.jpeg

B21694BC-9EB7-4D6B-BB71-17351D60C45F.jpeg

BB0615ED-3BE6-4744-8569-C2436BDF9C09.jpeg

Edited by FatJackDurham

JAinVA

Nice looking little tractor.I may get flamed for this comment but it is worth much more as a parts machine.You seem to be aware of the prices the machine would bring in your market.While these little guys are much more capable than the new junk a lot of people just don't want to work on them.Lets go to a box store and buy a shiny new POS. When there is a problem with it you can take it to someone who didn't make a dime on it's sale and get them to fix it under warranty.Yup sounds like a plan!

Edited by JAinVA

gwest_ca

Don't throw the towel in yet.

Start it one more time and put it in low gear. Be ready to control it if it happens to take off.

Get under the right footrest and see if the driven transmission pulley is spinning on the input shaft.

Next check the ends of each axle to see if an axle is spinning in the hub.

There is a Woodruff key at each location and only one has to fail to lose all drive.

May be the reason it was parked in the first place.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

Yep, a good buy is only a good buy if it fills a need for you or there is a prospect of turning a profit. I have to agree with jim on the greatest return being as a parts tractor.

2 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

I put it in drive, it doesn’t move.

Check the clutch spring and belt. Could be a key like Garry said. I would put it up on jack stands to check the things garry is talking about.

• Like 1

buckrancher

Check all of the above suggestions and be sure the hi and low range lever is in gear as the tractor will not move if you are not in hi or low range 

brian

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Like me,it looks as though you live in the land of non-buyers.Check out the classifieds here and take a look at the couple Horses I'm trying to sell.I thinkI'm asking fair prices for running,useable tractors.Zero interest.Before snow flies,I'm going to have one hell of a dump truck load of red machines to go to the scrap yard.BTW,I'll have several sets of tires and wheels to sell at that time.I'm sure no one will want  to buy them.Good luck with selling your tractor.I'm sure once you get rid of it you'll get several " Gee.....I would have bought it "

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Have another thought.

The dog-point set screw goes into a hole in a donut shaped ring on the shifter. The donut can be welded or secured to the shifter rod by a roll pin. If the weld or pin break it allows to donut to rotate on the shifter rod. When that happens all you are doing is rotating the shifter because of the bend in it. It won't select a gear.

If you pull the boot up you will see the top of the donut. See if the shifter rod will turn in the donut. It should not.

Garry

Tankman

A bit off subject but, although I’ve sold a few Horses, never bought one with the intention of selling.

D011392A-AC99-45CE-A026-78D9C5A6629F.jpeg.835c92480fda7078510f582e7eca693c.jpeg

• Like 1

WildmanC120
4 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

Like me,it looks as though you live in the land of non-buyers.Check out the classifieds here and take a look at the couple Horses I'm trying to sell.I thinkI'm asking fair prices for running,useable tractors.Zero interest.Before snow flies,I'm going to have one hell of a dump truck load of red machines to go to the scrap yard.BTW,I'll have several sets of tires and wheels to sell at that time.I'm sure no one will want  to buy them.Good luck with selling your tractor.I'm sure once you get rid of it you'll get several " Gee.....I would have bought it "

That's funny.  Everyone always thinks their prices are fair etc.  If something is not selling then there is only 1 reason why.  It's not priced fair to market. If it was worth what you are asking then it would be sold!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Pollack Pete
1 hour ago, WildmanC120 said:

That's funny.  Everyone always thinks their prices are fair etc.  If something is not selling then there is only 1 reason why.  It's not priced fair to market. If it was worth what you are asking then it would be sold!

Thank you for your opinion.

• Like 2

FatJackDurham
14 hours ago, Tankman said:

A bit off subject but, although I’ve sold a few Horses, never bought one with the intention of selling.

Yeah but selling two for $100 .... disrespectful. They needed a better home....

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@FatJackDurham, @Pollack Pete, I have bought a couple :wh: in past couple years then decided I didn't need/want them, 1 or 2  I broke even on and one I profited from but only because I waited out all the low balling  tire kickers it's just how long you want to hang on to them and whether or not it's covered or setting out in the elements, hang in there, Jeff.

• Like 1

FatJackDurham
On 9/1/2018 at 7:23 PM, gwest_ca said:

Have another thought.

The dog-point set screw goes into a hole in a donut shaped ring on the shifter. The donut can be welded or secured to the shifter rod by a roll pin. If the weld or pin break it allows to donut to rotate on the shifter rod. When that happens all you are doing is rotating the shifter because of the bend in it. It won't select a gear.

If you pull the boot up you will see the top of the donut. See if the shifter rod will turn in the donut. It should not.

Garry

YOu win the prize! Total repair cost $0.52! Thanks!

• Like 3