jellyghost

Tire Chain Clasps?

jellyghost

I have a nice pair of tire chains, but they don't have a mechanism for snapping together or staying on the tire.  My other pair, has a metal clasp and two rubber straps.  How do I find clasps and straps?  Thanks!

Edited by jellyghost

jellyghost

I may have answered my own question:

https://www.tirechain.com/Tire-Chains-Parts.htm

I came up with a simple way to make it work, but I don't think it will be as good as my other chains.  If anyone has opinions, I would love to hear them.

ebinmaine

Seems I remember somewhere in my past seeing someone use a couple of the screw type Fasteners links. Then to tighten up the chain they would use bungee cords inside and outside.

• Like 1

Digger 66

rjg854

One of my set of tire chains have broken clasps on one side because the PO I got the tractor from left the chains on year round.  Needless to say the only way to get the chains off was to break the clasps. Since then, I use a nylock nut and bolt in place of the clasps when I put the chains on for winter.  Seems to work for me and costs are minimal. 

• Like 3

jellyghost
1 hour ago, Digger 66 said:

I have seen these sold, but I can't imagine how they work.  My clasps have two sides and they close around the links of chain.  How do these work?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

Digger 66
7 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I have seen these sold, but I can't imagine how they work.  My clasps have two sides and they close around the links of chain.  How do these work?

I can take a pic of them installed on my walk behind snowblower if you want ....

The semi-closed loop goes through the last hanging link then feed the other end through the other end of the chain and bring them together like a cam lock .

Hook the open end of the lock around the first part of the chain a...and done .

• Like 1