drn441

417a bogs down after 45 min

drn441

So I got my 417a running and cutting but now when Im cutting after about 45 min it bogs down and will only run with the choke pulled all the way out and just enough to limp it back to the garage.. I'm going to do new coil, plugs, and points as well as rebuild the carb being that I got the tractor with 1500+ hours and have no idea when it was last serviced. I just wanted to know if anyone on here has run into anything like that? 

Thanks, 

Dan

953 nut

This sounds like a bad gas cap vent. As you use your :wh: the fuel pump will remove fuel from the tank and without a vent it begins to develop a slight vacuum in the tank. Once this vacuum becomes too great for the fuel pump to overcome the fuel flow stops. 

Buy a new cap and your problem will be resolved.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

:text-yeahthat:

But I'll add that I had a similar situation.  Mouse nest in the shroud.  It overheated & bogged down. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I very much doubt the coil is the issue, heat can cause failure but it usually means no spark at all.  Besides they are very pricey.  I agree it is a fuel problem.  if loosening the cap doesn't work spend a very few bucks and put in an electric pump.

• Like 2

drn441

Thank you guys for the info. I will switch the cap with the one off of my 310-8 and see if it still does it. 

• Thanks 1

drn441

The cap didn't work.. After the last time it bogged down now it will only run with full choke.. cold or hot.. Im going to clean the carb and see if that helps 

boovuc

Hi DRN,

The KT engines are fussy when it comes to heat. You may be seeing a combination issue on your tractor. Yes, a carb cleaning may be in order but I agree with others about heat being an issue. When you are mowing, please make sure you keep the screen cleaned off on the flywheel side. Wipe it early and often as you mow. Check your spark plugs. Use the coolest plugs you can without fouling. Make sure your intake isn't pulling heated air from the engine. (get it back as far as you can behind the battery). Look for frosting on the intake manifold. This will tend to occur after you are running it awhile too lean. (then it wants to go the other direction too rich).

I hope you can get it straightened out. They aren't as fussy as an Onan but they do have their own little set of bugs that need to be "treated" one by one for them to run perfect. 

drn441

Thank you for the info I will do all of the things you mentioned. I sonic cleaned the carb yesterday and put it back on and adjusted it to the specs in the manual and it's running great now. I ran it for about 2 1/2 house without a problem. 

WHNJ701

I had similar issue on older wheelhorse after about 1/2 of running fine it would just idle down and die, an hour it would start up fine, I changed points condenser plug checked coil, all the obvious.  finally I went through and replaced all the wiring on it and that was it ran fine after that that 40 year old wire had numerous corrosion spots and splices, some fresh copper was all it needed