ebinmaine

How to start, and stop, a Suburban with a Clinton?

buckrancher

there is a choke lever on the carb behind the fuel line hose clamp your engine has a kohler carter carburetor on it

Clinton used carter carbs on many different engine models but they are generally only on the much older ones

your engine is a 3 1/2 hp built on the same block as a B1290 someone has changed the carburetor as the one on your engine is not stock

give me a call sometime and I can probably answer all your questions about it

Brian

• Excellent 3

WHX??

Found this EB ...hope it helps

Clinton_494_series_parts.pdf

I've got 2 1/2 of these rascals so always willing to learn myself.

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

regardless of what it is, it's still a good tractor and you have a great story behind it of how you aquired it

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WHX20 said:

My guess is that what is going on here is someone had a RJ59 carcass that he was trying to make somewhat correct with whatever parts he could or had on hand. Hats off to that PO as he most likely didn't  have access to the talent and knowledge here on RS! Probably no internet to do  any kind of research on.

I believe you are a hundred percent accurate with all of your above guesses. Dell and wall fish and you and everybody else.

This was taken from the same auction site that I got that baby farm tractor from. He built both.

This was also the same place that I dug that green Whatchamacallit out from under the trees. He probably did not build that but who knows?

I don't know how old this fella was when he passed away a few months ago but his wife seems like she went by 70 quite a while ago.

I don't know if they actually had internet or not but he had been messing around with wheel horses for 30 or 40 years.

He had a professional quality machine shop and did a lot of repairs that many people would not get into including rebuilding automatic and manual transmissions and getting into the engines and doing his own machine work.

From what I've seen of his work he could paint pretty well but he wasn't real big on making body panels particularly smooth.

Seems as though he was clearly going for function, not prettiness.

You guys are correct about the hood being patched together. His wife knew about that. She pointed it out to me.

As pointed out above it may not be in original but it is clearly a well-built solid drivable show or parade tractor or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

I do remember a clip on top of the motor which he pushed over to the spark plug which killed the engine. I don't remember what engine it was on possibly a Briggs & Stratton engine .

• Like 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, buckrancher said:

give me a call sometime and I can probably answer all your questions about it

Will do Brian. Thank you.