The Tuul Crib

Stupid fury rodents

The Tuul Crib

I do know that in Pennsylvania hes know as Punxsutawney  Phil but here in Tennessee they're a pain in the xxxxxxx!  They're digging up under my shed where I keep my tractors. Anybody have any ideas how to get rid of them? Ughhh!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I definitely do have a couple different ideas but they probably are not Forum appropriate so I'm just going to go politically correct here and suggest some Have a Heart Traps or calling your local officials?

• Like 3

JAinVA

Have a Heart traps work great.I trapped the ones that ate my green beans.I relocated them as they were just trying to survive and the bean plants were a source of food,Keep in mind that ground hogs have two exits from their burrows so that can keep an eye on the other exit.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

ohiofarmer

To save some time and catch them while they are outside the burrow , those little motion detecting alarms from Harbor Freight can come in handy.An alternative would be a game camera so you can capture what time he comes out

I did this and had a rifle blind set up at the edge of a cornfield. All I had to do was walk through the corn and crawl a few feet to the sniper set-up.

Aim small, miss small. My furthest kill on a'hog was about 300 yards.On a prairie dog,about 450

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5

ol550

Had a problem with them getting under the house.  Found a can of repellent at a local Ace Hardware. Consisted of fox urine scent. Now I'm dealing with foxes.  Think lead will take care of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

squonk

Something was in our garden at 4 when I woke up. Dogs had it cornered. Had to drag them in before the neighbor's got woken up.

• Like 2

Tankman
8 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

To save some time and catch them while they are outside the burrow , those little motion detecting alarms from Harbor Freight can come in handy.An alternative would be a game camera so you can capture what time he comes out

I did this and had a rifle blind set up at the edge of a cornfield. All I had to do was walk through the corn and crawl a few feet to the sniper set-up.

Aim small, miss small. My furthest kill on a'hog was about 300 yards.On a prairie dog,about 450

Were you stationed at Camp Lejeune? :ROTF:

• Like 1

953 nut

Fish and game people here in NC said we shouldn't relocate groundhogs, just trap them and give them a proper funeral.

• Haha 4

Pullstart

I keep my wife’s M&P 22 loaded in the safe in case someone spots a groundhog.  One was between the engine and firewall on amSubaru parts car this spring, another under a plastic (skid) tote on the side of the drive.  The first was about 6’ away, he was nice enough to fall to the ground before expiring, the latter was at about 30’ and didn’t get out from under the tote.  For raccoons, I keep a live trap baited with marshmallows.  Well, they’re live when they get in the trap anyways...  There’s a 17hmr handy for the ones out in the field.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I’ve been taught if they are harming your property or livelihood, they need to be gotten rid of for good.

• Like 3

peter lena

I fly fish in Montana, private ranch, on off weather days, its regular stuff to long distance prairie dogs, ranch van ,smells like a mafia staff car , pete

• Haha 1

Tankman

My doggies keep the unwelcome furries at a distance. Our only problem is birds eating fish from our pond.

One flapper recently passed on. Bird flu or lead poisoning? :ROTF:

9CB41332-B9AB-45DD-B25F-A0931461988E.jpeg

A11E1AF9-30D6-4E45-8528-63D17BEEEE4C.jpeg

The Tuul Crib
41 minutes ago, peter lena said:

I fly fish in Montana, private ranch, on off weather days, its regular stuff to long distance prairie dogs, ranch van ,smells like a mafia staff car , pete

23 minutes ago, Tankman said:

My doggies keep the unwelcome furries at a distance. Our only problem is birds eating fish from our pond.

One flapper recently passed on. Bird flu or lead poisoning? :ROTF:

9CB41332-B9AB-45DD-B25F-A0931461988E.jpeg

A11E1AF9-30D6-4E45-8528-63D17BEEEE4C.jpeg

Nice to know another fly flicker ! Pm me sometime!

peter lena

rancher also had a federal license for pelicans and cormorants, regularly eating his fish stock , pelicans at dawn , 270.pete 

ACman

Woodchucks as we call them are and can be very destructive critters just ask any farmer. The only good woodchuck is a dead woodchuck but can be tricky to catch or hunt down as they learn real quick. Try wrapping a live trap with a tarp creating a tunnel and placing by its entrance. They usually want to check out that new tunnel with two exits and with any luck their curiosity will get them caught . :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1

19richie66

Gopher, woodchuck, beaver....... all the same to me. :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Haha 3

r356c

I've owned and sold property in this county, and feel a bit sad that rural Florida has gotten this stupider.

These are FFA and 4-H kids. Their livestock is a cash crop. Nuisance wildlife management is part of the program.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/05/16/florida-teacher-on-leave-after-he-is-accused-of-drowning-raccoons-in-class/?utm_term=.5797d45a3a6f

Edited by r356c

953 nut
7 hours ago, r356c said:

FFA and 4-H kids. Their livestock is a cash crop

The big problem I see here isn't limited to wildlife management. The "News" media members are tending to sensationalize everything and no longer see the need for objective balanced reporting. It is a shame that a dedicated educator had to be the victim of a bleeding heart journalist.   

:soapbox:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

clueless

No Gopher problem down here, but don't get me started on them dammed Armadillos :o.

• Haha 1

953 nut
1 minute ago, clueless said:

don't get me started on them dammed Armadillos

We have even been getting some armadillos in the mountains of North Carolina, guess Florida tourists mus bring then along so they won't get homesick!         :ychain:

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
40 minutes ago, clueless said:

No Gopher problem down here, but don't get me started on them dammed Armadillos :o.

Well somebody didn't close the gate because the armadillos have made their way to Tennessee!Lol!

clueless
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

We have even been getting some armadillos in the mountains of North Carolina, guess Florida tourists mus bring then along so they won't get homesick!         :ychain:

I wish they'd all go back to Amarillo and Abilene!

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Been ridding my property of raccoons now pretty much every two days.  They surprised me though, nothing showed up this morning in my trap.  Did they run and hide, or do the vultures need to catch up on clean up duty?

Edited by pullstart
Speeled it wrong

Goldnboy

Have you ever tried feeding them sweet corn fully coated with rat poison?☠

All they are looking for is a snack!

• Confused 1

Pullstart

Well, though I’ve lost count of ‘coons this season, there is light at the end of the tunnel!  They are getting smaller!  I’m going to leave the trap empty for the weekend, don’t want to be in-humane and starve them..  I maintain that a lead diet is best for them.