FatJackDurham

Whats the story with the xi series?

FatJackDurham

When I was looking for a garden tractor a couple of years ago, I was told that Wheel Horse with the angle steel frames were among the best. Here in the forum, people seem to have some distain for the MTD tractors of today.

What is the story with the 522xi? It has a vertical shaft engine, right? I can't see the frame very well in pictures, but it looks like a stamped metal frame, like the MTD tractors. Yet, people seem to really like them here. Are the still high quality horses like the previous years?

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I have a 522xi,  The engine is horizontal, it's inline and drives the hydrostatic unit with a drive shaft - no belt.  The frame is stamped, but its very heavy duty.  Nothing lightweight on the 5xi series,  A 522xi weight almost 1200lbs without a deck.  Add a two speed rear, tight turning radius, cruise control, and power steering and you have a great tractor.

I think the 5xi series was one of best Wheel Worses.  I prefer it for everyday mowing over my 520H's.  Nothing against the 520H or other WHs.  The 522xi and 520H are among the best tractors in this class.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Forest Road

I have a 522xi w 1100 hours and a loader. Hands down the most thought out machine to wear the WH badge. Mine was run hard and left for dead @ 1000 hours. Plenty life left in it

Biggest problem I see w them is attachments. They’re out there but much harder to come by. 

Should you buy one go over all linkage w a set wrenches and lock tite. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

EDIT: After seeing what heartache and grief the below post has caused, I will add the following to this post:: I have read somewhere, don't remember where, that  MTD made (put together on their factory line) the xi series on licens for Toro/NH. And that it of cause was Toro that was in control of design, components, etc. Just an outsource of the "putting together" part of it. However I do not know this first hand, it is only what I read. If anyone has solid info and not hearsay or religion on it, please set the record straight, so all can sleep well tonight :-). I apologize if the following is consieved to be misleading or wrong. ( Oh and I stick 100% to my guns, on that FIAT isn't the worlds best car, part of it ) :D

I will also add, that I have no beef with MTD, and that I'm sure they can make good stuff too. The fact is probably just that they often manufacture the cheap stuff for other brands because that cheap stuff is what is in demand, and MTD has made it a good business to produce that : EDIT

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

They are made on licens by MTD, and is also a sister model to New Holland equivalent.

I think the ill feelings towards MTD, is that when you say MTD, you automatically think about the cheap junk ride on mowers. I can't say much nice about them either, but the XI sure is a fine machine, and not to be compared.

When the talk falls on cars, and someone says Fiat, I think MTD cr.. . Then it slips into mind, that they also has a factory that makes Ferrari........................... Dosn't automatically make Fiat a good car, but...............

Can't compare cucumber to sirloin steak. :-)

Edited by Skipper
Info may or may not be wrong.
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

FatJackDurham

I had a 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 when I was in high school. GREAT car. Very fast, very sporty, great handling. Mechanically, I never had much problem. I even lost it in a river once. All I had to do was drain and refill the vital fluids and replace the EFI computer and it still ran great. Electrically, though, woof. What schist. I'd for sure get another, though.

Okay, so the motor is linear horizontal shaft like the D-series. I couldn't ever figure that how. 1200 lbs is quite a beast. Thanks for the info. I'd seen people put loaders on them, but I wasn't sure about the frame. Good to know it's heavier duty and that it mows well. If a nice one comes my way, I'll look into it.

stevebo

Love mine !! I have a 520xi, 520 lxi and a 522xi with loader

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_1470.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: What...no Dxi? 

Tankman

Thanks for the heads up Kurt.

i always thought, “MTD, not!”

Love my old Horses, really enjoy my ‘90 520-8. The Onan purrs! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Kurt-NEPA
1 hour ago, Tankman said:

The Onan purrs! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hard to beat the torque and sound of a flat head Onan!

Tankman
1 minute ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Hard to beat the torque and sound of a flat head Onan!

Runs and sounds great!

F249B53F-F162-4A8A-9A51-F7FB19A09FC4.jpeg.8a7b9b524e3907e49eac933c9a044b56.jpeg

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA
1 minute ago, Tankman said:

Runs and sounds great!

Looks fantastic Tankman.

I have my 95 520H setup with a two stage blower and cab.  That thing can really blow snow.

That said, I really prefer my 522xi for mowing. The 520H did great, but the 522xi is better. 

I know I picking nits here. Both are fantastic tractors.

• Excellent 1

Tankman
4 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Looks fantastic Tankman.

I have my 95 520H setup with a two stage blower and cab.  That thing can really blow snow.

That said, I really prefer my 522xi for mowing. The 520H did great, but the 522xi is better. 

I know I picking nits here. Both are fantastic tractors.

Grandson, his 1st ride (ok drive) on the ‘90 520-8.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Kurt-NEPA
1 minute ago, Tankman said:

Future Red Square member in training?

• Like 1

Tankman
2 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Future Red Square member in training?

Taking over, it’s a Pennsylvania thingy.

I started 40+ years ago, sons needed Horses.

My 1st tractor was a ‘32 Farmall. I was a Rough and Tumble in Kinzers, PA. Tasty

hard apple cider. Yum. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

emdmat1981
10 hours ago, Skipper said:

They are made on licens by MTD, and is also a sister model to New Holland equivalent.

I think the ill feelings towards MTD, is that when you say MTD, you automatically think about the cheap junk ride on mowers. I can't say much nice about them either, but the XI sure is a fine machine, and not to be compared.

When the talk falls on cars, and someone says Fiat, I think MTD cr.. . Then it slips into mind, that they also has a factory that makes Ferrari........................... Dosn't automatically make Fiat a good car, but...............

Some additional info and a couple questions.

So the 5xi sales brochure says the chassis is a "10-gauge drawn steel and welded chassis that's passed the extensive stress tests we apply to our commercial grade equipment".   So I think that "drawn steel" does equate to stamped steel but I'm no expert here.  

I had always thought, however, that  the "newer" tractors found at big box stores such as Home Depot were the ones on license from MTD.   I knew the XI's were a sister model to the New Hollands .. but had never heard that the XI's were built by MTD  .. so I did some more digging.

I looked up Toro on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_(company)   which states .... "In 2007, the low-end lawn and garden tractor product manufacturing was outsourced to MTD Products, to be sold at Home Depot stores."

So did MTD really build the XI (produced 1998-2005 I think)? 

Can someone set the record straight or provide additional insight here? 

Regards

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I doubt any "Wheel Horse" by Toro was made by MTD but certainly some Toro were made by MTD.  

But if someone knows more please share.  I guess it doesn't matter who made them, they are great machines! 

Dennys502

The 5xi's were only made by Toro.

• Excellent 2

shallowwatersailor

NO, the 5xi-series were never made by MTD. From 1998 to 2003 Toro produced the New Holland GT-series for New Holland.  In 2006 MTD started to produced the LX series as the replacement for the XL-series, Classic Toro Wheel Horse, and the Toro Wheel Horse GT550 (renamed 522xi.) 

In retrospect, I regret selling off my three 5xi prior to our move. I am now using two classic Wheel Horses for my property (which do a very good job) but the 5xi were definitely more maneuverable and quicker. But this property is smaller and doesn't need the year-round capability that my 5xi provided.

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

DennisThornton

Never had a D series so I can't say the XI is the BEST Wheel Horse ever made but there's no doubt in my mind that the XI series is a step up from the Classics. 

Not as common and the attachments are less so and a nice unit can command a nice price.  But I've bought some bargains out there! 

oliver2-44

While the current MTD made big box store tractors are junk.  Back in the 70,s through 90’S MTD made some tough tractors with their name on them.  Some had direct hydraulic drive like the Case and then they went to the Eaton hydrostatic.  Sad they turned to making junk to stay in business

Edited by oliver2-44

Tankman

Laugh when I see folks lookin’ in Lowes or Home “Cheapo” for a “tractor”, never happen.

A used Horse is a good Horse. :handgestures-thumbupright:

AndyK149

Don't laugh, if anything, educate.  Most people just don't know, many of those tractors are sold under reputable brand names by companies that don't even care about their brand reputation any more.

I would guess that more people would laugh at members here for how much time and energy they spend on their lawn mower.  None of this laughing, in either direction, makes anyone better off.  

I know you didnt mean it that way, but still! 

Forest Road
On 8/28/2018 at 12:22 PM, Skipper said:

Dam son! Were you you hitting the sauce? MTD made WH? Never heard that. 

As for those Fix It Again Tony specials, aka FIAT, I’ll stick to American iron. 

emdmat1981
13 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

NO, the 5xi-series were never made by MTD. From 1998 to 2003 Toro produced the New Holland GT-series for New Holland.  In 2006 MTD started to produced the LX series as the replacement for the XL-series, Classic Toro Wheel Horse, and the Toro Wheel Horse GT550 (renamed 522xi.) 

In retrospect, I regret selling off my three 5xi prior to our move. I am now using two classic Wheel Horses for my property (which do a very good job) but the 5xi were definitely more maneuverable and quicker. But this property is smaller and doesn't need the year-round capability that my 5xi provided.

John .. you sure did have 3 nicely outfitted Xi's !!

Interesting to here that the the 2006 Toro Wheel Horse GT550 was produced by MTD.

So would that just mean assembled by MTD .. as the design, parts , etc are all Toro Wheel Horse and the machine as you say is essentially a re-badged 522xi.

Yes?

Skipper

I apologize If i got it wrong. Not sure I did, but if it is the case then it is said.

I do not remember where it was I read it. Sorry if it ain't so. Wasn't trying to mislead anyone. Just relayed the info I had been given.

But should it be the case that MTD in fact made the xi series, I do not see a problem in it. Many companies outsource the factory line, and only do the development of products in house. As long as it is Wheel Horse/Toro that decided what parts to use and how to put them together, it do not matter to me which hands did it and where, as long as it was done the way specified.

To summe up, we can all agree that the GT550 was made (put together) by MTD. We can also all agree that it is just about identical to the previous Xi series (I cant see the difference). We also know that Toro wished to focus more on commercial products, and less on residential, pretty much from the moment the last Classic left the building. Now speculating on if they started making the Xi in house, and then mowed a complete production line to MTD for the last year or so in 2006-2007, or if it was there all along, is something you may do on your own. And we can only hope that someone with the right facts shows up to set it straight. Until then, I guess it is up to speculation and beliefs, what makes most sense both financially and other wise.

To stop more heart attacks, I will edit the first post accordingly.

And again, I'm sorry if someone spilled their Coffey over this :D

Edited by Skipper
  • Excellent 1