william orndorff

1989 wheel horse 312-8

william orndorff

Just got this garden tractor back form my son. He stated that it would not pull the gentle incline in his yard . I  brought it home and sure enough it wouldn't pull a gentle hill In my yard either. I weigh 240. I am I expecting too much out of this little mower? The belt is in good shape however the pulley on the side of the is not turning when the mower bogs down. Any suggestions?

JAinVA

No you are not asking to much.I routinely tow a half ton with my machines.It sounds like the pulley on the transmission input shaft has sheared a key.The pulley on the transaxle needs to come off to see if the key is intact.If the drive belt is serviceable check the woodruff key. 

• Like 2

william orndorff

Thanks for your help! And please forgive my ignorance about this machine. When you speak of the transmission input shaft are you talking about the shaft  that extends from the right side of the engine?

953 nut

:WRS:

If you could post a picture of the :wh: indicating what pulley is or isn't turning we can help get it going good as new.

• Like 2

N3PUY

If the pulley is not turning then the belt has to be slipping.

• Like 1

william orndorff

getPart?uid=27923323&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=IMG_0404.JPG

KC9KAS

Or, a key sheered on one of the hubs.

• Like 1

william orndorff

mower pulls fine on level ground

could that still be a key

JAinVA

The belt runs on the engine pulley and travels to the rear of the machine.At your right foot is a belt guard which shields the belt from view.Towards the rear on the right side is input shaft pulley.It is held in place by a set screw acting on a woodruf key.If the belt is not slipping you have a key sheared.It could be at the pulley or one of the rear hubs.

• Like 2

N3PUY

Or the clutch spring is weak.    A sheared key on the pulley or axle hub would not stop the pulley from turning.  " the pulley on the side of the is not turning ".  Woah!  the pulley on the side of what?  He doesn't say the side of the motor or the side of the transmission!

Edited by N3PUY

william orndorff

Sorry N3PUY. when the mower bogs down the pulley on the side of the engine doesn't appear to be turning. Am I missing something?

JAinVA

You seem to have 2 different issues by your posts.If the mower bogs down and the tractor engine is still happily turning then the PTO clutch is slipping.If the tractor wont climb a small grade then something else is wrong.Which is it or both?

953 nut
23 minutes ago, william orndorff said:

mower pulls fine on level ground

could that still be a key

It could be the key on one of the hubs has sheared but has a rough spot that can catch well enough to pull when not loaded too much. If it is the key it will stop moving entirely very soon. Take a marker and draw a line on each rear wheel hub and axle then drive it and see if one is moving from the starting point.

4 minutes ago, william orndorff said:

Sorry N3PUY. when the mower bogs down the pulley on the side of the engine doesn't appear to be turning. Am I missing something?

Are we talking about the MOWER BLADES bogging down and not moving or the tractor?

953 nut

Seems Jim and I posted at the same time.

To post a picture on this site you need to download it to your computer and then click on the choose files... at the bottom of the page, that will take you to your photos and you can select the one you want. Then you click on the "+"  on the photo that was uploaded to this site and it will become a part of your post.

• Like 1

william orndorff

Engine is running just fine when mower will not climb a hill.. The blades seem to be turning just fine. However I will check on this again tomorrow and get back to you guys  Thanks for the help so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Probably a key on the axle/hub then.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

william orndorff

IMG_0404.JPG

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                    Success!              :handgestures-thumbupright:

The PTO clutch disk is bolted to the drive pulley on your engine so if the PTO is driving the mower then the drive pulley on the engine is turning.

JAinVA

Great picture but I don't understand what the issue is.The pen is pointing to the main drive belt.Does this belt move when the engine is running.

KC9KAS
8 hours ago, william orndorff said:

Engine is running just fine when mower will not climb a hill.. The blades seem to be turning just fine.

Not a mower or mower belt problem....It is a driveline problem...….KEY ON THE TRANSMISSION INPUT PULLEY, OR KEY ON A HUB!

Yes, I was yelling!

953 nut
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

Yes, I was yelling!

Image result for shh you'll wake the kids                               :ychain:

• Haha 1

N3PUY

The belt he is pointing to is not moving, but the mower belt is moving.   So the drive belt is slipping …. too loose....  clutch pulley or spring.

gwest_ca

As it is attempting to drive stick your toe behind the clutch pedal and pull it back so it applies more tension to the belt. There is a damper on the linkage next to the idler pulley behind the belt guard. The first damper version was a simple air shock. They will get full of dirt and fail to function. They can be washed out and returned to service. If you remove it for cleaning take notice where it is mounted as that affects when it controls the clutch pedal. Item #53 in this illustration is the damper. Item #54 are the two nuts that adjust it's position.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/21-12k806-312-8-toro-312-8-garden-tractor-1989/clutch-brake-and-speed-control-linkage/

Item #48 is the pedal return spring on the left side of the transmission. They do get tired.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

william orndorff

Thanks for the help folks. Hard to get a lot done working 10 hour days.  Will try to work on it this weekend! Thanks again..

• Like 2

william orndorff

By the way I just tried the mower again and it pulled the 125lb wife up the hill just fine!