HorseWhisperer

Ross Steering 953

HorseWhisperer

Not sure what's missing besides little shiny spheres just below the steering wheel.All works well below just need a pic/available upper bearings for my early 953

20180827_163214.jpg

20180827_163151.jpg

Edited by HorseWhisperer
  • Like 1

953 nut

Take a look at this thread, should answer all your questions.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/10576-snappermf-1650-ross-steering-rebuild-help/

PS;                           I will be heading up to the Syracuse area in a couple of weeks. If you want that pesky early 953 out of your way I could bring along a trailer.   :ychain:

• Haha 4

MarkS
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I will be heading up to the Syracuse area in a couple of weeks.

Hmm, got anything you want to sell on the way up? :ROTF:

• Haha 1

HorseWhisperer
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Take a look at this thread, should answer all your questions.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/10576-snappermf-1650-ross-steering-rebuild-help/

PS;                           I will be heading up to the Syracuse area in a couple of weeks. If you want that pesky early 953 out of your way I could bring along a trailer.   :ychain:

You are welcome to pop in and make an offer but I love them this way.All there,unmolested and in my care!.I have lost two nice 1054 in the last 20 years.It would take a great appreciation to get this gem out of my yard!😍😍😍Thanks for the link

• Haha 1

HorseWhisperer

I have been through this thread and have found the upper ross bearings on a "E" site before but I guess I'm thick and need to see what I'm looking at.The inner plastic race is there,the felt washer and the washer on top but I think the lower plastic race is missing?

• Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, MarkS said:

Hmm, got anything you want to sell on the way up? :ROTF:

Image result for nice try but no cigar

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

HorseWhisperer

I got some pics of me in a speedo on a gt14 I would make a calender into for ya

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell

If the ross steering is just like the ross on cub cadets, you can pull the little race off and use a standard wheel bearing in its place. 

Randy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

HorseWhisperer
10 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

If the ross steering is just like the ross on cub cadets, you can pull the little race off and use a standard wheel bearing in its place. 

Randy

I am gonna mic that baby up and head to tractor supply.Thanks my friend

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

If I remember right, the wheel bearing fit nice on the shaft and it's just a titch loose on the tube. One wrap of tape or a little dimple or two and your good to go.

• Thanks 2

HorseWhisperer
13 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Randy

Well Randy,This is the greatest gift I've got in a spell.The butchered race came off and I realized why I save all them old rims - it's like new now.Thanks again for that info

20180828_104346.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

what about a 3/4" flange bearing behind that dash?? you could use carriage bolts for smooth dash side looks and elastic lock nuts on back side to insure staying in place . you would have the option of using either a 2 bolt or a 4 bolt flange bearing. most important is the flat bearing mount surface that you have , as well as the almost end of shaft support . that flange bearing would make that steering, one of the strongest points on the tractor, instead of the weakest . I do not have a 953 , but having done this on other wheel  horse tractors , you have the option to make that problem go away. I just got 2 flange bearings on e bay  14$  for my next project. pete

• Confused 1

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, HorseWhisperer said:

Well Randy,This is the greatest gift I've got in a spell.The butchered race came off and I realized why I save all them old rims - it's like new now.Thanks again for that info

20180828_104346.jpg

Thats why we are all here brother!! 

Randy

• Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

what about a 3/4" flange bearing behind that dash?? you could use carriage bolts for smooth dash side looks and elastic lock nuts on back side to insure staying in place . you would have the option of using either a 2 bolt or a 4 bolt flange bearing. most important is the flat bearing mount surface that you have , as well as the almost end of shaft support . that flange bearing would make that steering, one of the strongest points on the tractor, instead of the weakest . I do not have a 953 , but having done this on other wheel  horse tractors , you have the option to make that problem go away. I just got 2 flange bearings on e bay  14$  for my next project. pete

The 953 uses a ross steering box that has a closed tube. No where to put one under the dash, but if you clean a ross box up and use a 605nice thrust bearing on the box, they are super smooth. 

Randy

Steering1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

sounds like the plan, good luck with it , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1