Shed

Just brought this home need help

Shed

Just brought this home and it's in great shape but all I know is that it has a k90 rope start there's another one I'm going back to pick up that says suburban on it with fenders and a under seat tool box will post pictures of that too

20180826_164019.jpg

20180826_164012.jpg

Edited by Shed
Needed more info
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Mows4three

That little guy already had designs on that tractor.  Way to go!

RandyLittrell

You got a great start on a collection!!   And you have come to the right place to hang out!! 

Welcome!! :text-welcomeconfetti:

Randy

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Looks like it's an Rj-58 that has been restored.   Nice tractor.   Owner's Manuals are available on this forum.   Welcome to the club.

That little guy will be driving it all around your yard in another couple of years.   

Good to have another Pennsylvanian on the Forum.  You're located near my old fishing grounds up on the Delaware River.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

Shed

Awesome thanks I'm working on getting it started today with my kid. This has a rope style starter on the kholer k90 I've never started one with out a recoil starter should be fun. Any idea what year it may be, how to Id the year by different setups? I'm going to pick up the other one now here's a photo of it 

20180819_083145.jpg

20180819_083213.jpg

• Like 2

SPINJIM

The second one is a 1960 Suburban, probably a 400, maybe a 550 (battery start).  Can't tell from the pictures.   Not the original engine.

• Like 1

Achto

:text-yeahthat: 

The first tractor that you bought is an RJ either a 1958 or 1959 model. It is difficult to tell the two years apart without a serial number. The SN would have been on a sticker on the frame of the tractor, unfortunately these are usually missing. 

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:                                              Seeing how much the little child is enjoying the RJ it is obvious that you needed to buy the Suburban so you could have a :wh: too.           :ychain:

• Like 1

Shed

Yeah have to grow up with a 416h still own it it needs work onans smokes mower deck needs spindals what not so maybe on here I can get that restored 

Shed

Thanks yeah I'm not from from the Delaware 15mins 

Yeah there's only a casting number on the gear box. And motor plate. 

Brought home the suburban 

• Like 1

Shed

Thanks yeah I'm not from from the Delaware 15mins 

Yeah there's only a casting number on the gear box. And motor plate. 

Brought home the suburban 

20180827_125505.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Shed

20180827_125458.jpg

• Excellent 1

Shed

20180827_125513.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

an RJ either a 1958 or 1959 model

:text-yeahthat:Give us the all casting numbers on the tranny  and we'll see if we can nail it down to '58 or '59.

On the Suburban peek under the seat cover and see if the pan is solid or has holes.

Nice finds no matter what! :greetings-clappingyellow:

:WRS:

Shed

The seat is soild I'm writing down all the numbers and part.

How do I get this tractor into gear the tranny doesn't stop spinning with pedal pressed down. I put a new liner belt on so it would totally disengage but it still catches enough to spin the trans this is the one with the new Briggs motor

WHX??

Solid seat pan might suggest a early 1960. Early 400s were said to have a solid seat pan and a Clinton B1290 motor they were using up from RJ's. Clintons are not as easy (lack of parts) to keep going so guys often repoed with a more common Briggs.

On the belt issue some will say you need a belt guard but I say hogwash although a belt guard is not the worst idea. Repro guards are available.  These model was more important to have a belt brake in the form of a wire mounted on the engine block or some kind of tab on the idler. .See if I can find a pic of the idler mounted style.  That works best as it pushes the belt down and forward off the drive pulley.

20160808_172414.jpg

20160808_172405.jpg

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 1

Shed

I see that tab I was looking at the rj and notice the tab on that kept the belt up off the pulley I'll have to make on up and yeah I need a gaurd lol and to move the exhaust no more hair on my calf 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
Just now, Shed said:

no more hair on my calf 

LOL ... you can get reproed heat shields  too... not that it helps! :lol:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:think: Running no belt guard...

lucky you still have a calf. 

Shed

Yeah I do need the guards either I buy the factory for both of the tractors or make them. What's the link to where to buy them. And I'll have to make a tab for the belt to see if that let's the belt not grab the pulley. 

But I had to take the suburban for a spin so just started in gear and took for a spin haha the wife just laughed and walked away

• Haha 1

Retired Wrencher

Shed :WRS: As you can see plenty of help here. Looks like your son has dibs on the tractor all ready. Enjoy the project.

squonk

Should be able to put a Tecky starter on that K-90

Shed

Thankfully for him was the reason I was able to get the pair ha 

I can't say thanks enough for the help I've been on forums for other things and their just is no one helpful, not here :thanks:

I found on here a smart belt stop even for the suburban 

A recoil pull start would be nice for the k90 instead of a rope pull where would I find one 

WHX??

Here is a good thread on the recoil. You will need the proper cup. One can usually find them on ebay or from other members.

There is a nice heat shield in our classifieds  but  the name of the guy who was reproducing the belt guards escapes me right now.