boovuc

C-160/Starter Won't Engage the Motor

boovuc

Guys,

I have a 1975 C-160 that the starter won't engage the flywheel. I'm getting this project started for a friend who's wife's father owned since new. He passed away and her husband wants to present it to her as a gift since her dad kept great care of it. (It was unfortunately abused for years by another "party" before my friend got it back before the guy could screw it up more)!

Right now, the starter will spin and sometimes just lock up the whole works forcing me to put a ratchet the castle bolt holding the flywheel and move it back and forth to let it go. I took the starter off and cleaned up the bendix and cleaned all the electrical connectors involved. He and I know nothing as to why it was sitting though the jack#&% that had it has the PTO lever off and some parts missing here and there. :(

The starter seems to spin up just fine. Anyone have a quick diagnosis? I have a new battery on it. The teeth on both the starter and the flywheel look good. (I've seen much worse and they work fine). I can turn the motor over by hand with the spark plug out so it isn't seized and I've tried cranking it with the plug out. It just isn't engaging and when it does, it won't turn it. Weak starter maybe? This machine was very well cared for for decades. I simply cleaned up the hood to show how well the original paint would clean up in the pics.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

• Like 1

squonk

If the motor is free and you have good voltage to the starter, Yes I would say the starter has seen better days. It would be a good idea to replace the cables as well.

• Like 2

953 nut

Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds? Have you taken a pair of good jumper cables and gone from battery "-" to the engine block and battery"+" to the starter stud bypassing all other components that could be preventing the starter from getting full voltage?

squonk

Tractor looks well used. Start from the battery and work towards the starter. double check the ammeter connections

stevasaurus

I had a problem that might be like what you have.  I told Kelly about it and he said to try shimming the starter out from the block.  Cut a piece of galvanized sheet metal to fit the bolt pattern of the starter.  It will move the Bendix away from the fly wheel a touch and maybe it will not bind.  It did work for me, but I did have a different starter and not the original.  :think:

• Like 1

boovuc

Thanks for the replies. I did go over all the major connections. I didn't pull the ammeter. I didn't do the smaller wires from the solenoid thinking I have engagement so no need. I did't jump the starter directly either. I'll go back to it tonight and see. Steve..........I thought about shimming it too. I have no idea if that is the original starter. I'm assuming it was was but who knows. To me, when it locks up, it's telling me that I have a mesh on the flywheel but no oomph to turn it around. It doesn't take much to move the flywheel a little with the socket on the castle nut holding it to free it back up. This guy shouldn't have been allowed to throw a light switch without supervision. I hate seeing someone's well cared for machine go to hell like this did. 

Again. Thanks for the ideas and we'll put them to good use!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

daveoman1966

Several starters on Ebay now for 30-50 bux.  New for $90.  Keyword search:  wheelhorse kohler starter

boovuc

Thanks, Dave! Good to hear from you again!

Steve...............I spoke to my buddy and he called the jack#%@, I mean "the party" that had the tractor before. He did change the starter out. Imagine that! That was most likely the last thing he did. So.................I'll shim it out for now and see if I can get it to mesh correctly. Otherwise, I'll find the correct starter. Can't wait to see what else this thing needs just to run. It will shine up nice for him but I'll bet the lines and the carb look like old Vaseline dispensers! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

We had a thread a couple of years ago about these starters (high mount starters).  Seems they come with 2 different Bendixs on them.  One with 11 teeth and one with either 10 or 12...I want to say 12.  They both mesh with the fly wheel, so either one is OK, but I think that is where the shimming came in.  Try the sheet metal (1 piece) first.  It has to mount under both bolts to be even...I just cut 2 notches in the metal to go behind the bolts.  I cut enough for 2 shims, but in my case, it only took 1.  :)

Dang, it would be great if this fixed your issue.  :think:

boovuc

I have shimmed this using several different stocks and was to no avail. It felt and sounded too tight, wouldn't engage or ground. Took the flywheel shroud off and left the last mega-shim on it to show you guys how this is "trying" to mesh. The bendix gear has 16 teeth on it. I don't think it's the correct bendix but you guys tell me what you think. 

C160_Flywheel_starter.JPG

daveoman1966

That is the WRONG bendix gear.  It should have 10 or 12 teeth.  The teeth are so small on yours that they will jam on the flywheel teeth as they are simsply not big enough, and too close together.  Here is what you need...(I don't have ne...this is a file pic).

These are on Ebaqy...50bux or so.

koh 12-16 (1).JPG

ST 10 12 14 16 (2).JPG

ST 10 12 14 16 (4).JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Excellent Dave...no doubt about the wrong bendix gear.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

boovuc

I thought so but wanted to not believe this guy had this starter rebuilt and it was the one that was on it. That is BS. I winder what other little gremlins I'm going to find on this machine going forward? We'll get it back into shape as long as this clown didn't destroy the motor.

Thanks for the confirmation!

• Like 2