Daron1965

How do you heat your shop, garage?

MikMacMike
On 11/3/2019 at 8:04 AM, Digger 66 said:

I may opt for one of these in the near future .

Ouche...ive been in the plumbing and heating for almost 40 years and would never suggest this type of heater in a wood shop. Anywhere there is a chance of dust wood or other wise is a mixture for flash explosions or flash fires......dust burns, even metal dust of sorts. Another reason is...I realize with a shop like this there is usually a chip and dust extractor, and yes they move major cfm. As the dust extractor is activated a strong negative pressure develops inside, reversing the in the exhaust vent gases.....either blowing the pilot out but more severely exhaust gasses are now being pulled back into the structure. This would be ok in a shop that does not have any sort of fumes or dust particulate. Personally In wood shop Id opt for hot water heating. A old used hot water tank and either copper baseboard exchangers or even some old cast Iron rads. If your worried about freezing in the lines youd use a non freezing or low freezing point fluid. Plus its quiet when your studying a difficult instance on a project that requires all your creative brain power hehehe. Just a note.....later down the road you can also add a solar water heater to make heating much cheaper too. Also if you dont like the idea of rads in-floor heating is so much more superior then anything out there. The concrete floor is the heat exchanger and is a serious battery for storing heat. It might take a day or two to heat the floor to temperature but remember this it takes as long release the heat too sooooo if the power goes out you have 1 to 2 days of stored heat being given off. Either way always do lots of research not just on the positives but the negatives.....so be safe and live long you Horse Herders. Oh P.S. I forgot to show my heating system. Its also not the safest so I take special precautions using it. NEVER do I leave it running unattended. My wood work is always machinery is used only when I have the garage door open and the dust extractor running. It does for weeks on end get down to -20c or -25c with wind blowing in winter but this heater on high brings my shop up to a very balmy 20c-22c in 30 minutes. The shop is only 2x4 stud walls with 3-5/8" fibreglass insulation......no where near ideal for Canadian winters. I did run 8" in the attic a very critical area where the heat escapes by conductivity, its been all plastic wrapped on inside with tuck tape and any cracks are either silicone or spray foam in larger cracks. The better insulated the more comfortable and best of all the cost of heating is reduced drastically. Dam I remember the days when there was no insulation and the heater was running full tilt costing me 5 gal a day on oil. Now I use 1/2 to 1 gal a day working usually 16 to 18 hours. I could only ever get it to 10c back then. Oh a good thing to watch for if your insulating......make friends with the renovator guy or watch Craiglist or Kijiji. Used insulation is almost always free when its fiber glass and it only cost me my time to get it with a trailer since its not in a compact state like when its new. Heres what I heat with>>>

image20191126_124322157.jpg

MikMacMike
On 9/25/2018 at 3:44 PM, pullstart said:

Test run...  a sign that fall really is here.  This is the only day until mid Oct. that it looks like we’ll see temps over 70.  I’ll run the boiler up to 150 while I’m out cutting wood for the next 2 or 3 hours, then check everything out in the firebox and surrounding.

378CEFCA-F0FE-489A-909F-D4DB65D5A493.jpeg

Now this is the ticket....expencive but whaaaaa, not only the shop but it'll heat the house too. A buddy of mine has one heating his Farm house and shop, he just put in the underground lines to the pool pump and next spring it'll be hooked to a full size underground pool.

• Thanks 1

MikMacMike
On 10/31/2019 at 10:24 AM, CasualObserver said:

Thanks for bringing this back up Kevin! @pullstart

My shop is 36x24 with 10 foot 2x6 fully insulated walls. (I did a shop build thread here a while back....)  I roughed in for a radiant in-floor heat system and gas-fired boiler.  Finally  got the boiler hooked up. Really looking forward to see how it performs this year.

20191014_193624.jpg

OH hell ya love it.....there is no better heat then infloor.....Luv the tankless heater too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

I fun a pellet boiler for the house and feel comfortable the maintenance that goes with it when I burn corn to save money

I lucked out yesterday and found a Englander pellet stove for fifteen cents on the dollar vs, new

My shop is elevated well above the garage, but I will still elevate the stove so carb cleaning and such is safe.

The shop is 48x28 and built and insulated like a house