Mows4three

Help on locating C160 Automatic serial number

Mows4three

Hello!  A newbie here again with questions for you seasoned collectors and wrench slingers.

I found a C160 Automatic for sale last week and struck a deal to buy it.    The guy who had it was selling it for a relative who's husband had passed away so he didn't have much information on this tractor.  He had no manuals, receipts, brochures or service records, all things I usually ask for when buying equipment.  He did have it running and we were able to take it for a few circuits around the driveway to check out the mechanicals.  

With the exception of the seat, the wrong air filter cover, the wrong bolts in the engine fan screen, and a front wheel that was replaced, it looks pretty close to original to my untrained eye.  Trouble is, I can't find any serial number on the tractor, anywhere.   I've looked in the usual places: under the seat, on and under the tilting seat pan, on the left and the right side of the steering column tower, and frame.  I've looked ove the whole tractor a few times and I'm stumped.   

One of the members here on Red Square advised that if it has the original hood, it's probably a 1974 or 1975 C160.   I'm going with that until I learn more. 

Any suggestions on where to look for the serial number plate on this mystery machine and and if I should be looking for a paper/vinyl sticker, an adhesive metal tag or a riveted serial number tag?

As usual, your help, suggestions and comments would certainly be appreciated. 

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

I don't have that model and am not sure where the tag should be. Presuming you have an original engine you can look at the engine Spec Number, if it is 71128A it is from '75, if it is 71113A it is from '74.

squonk

In your first picture, Tag should be above the hydraulic lever control right below the panel with the C 160 decal. 

• Like 1

Mows4three

Thanks guys.  There's no tag anywhere near the hydraulic lever. I guess I'll have to figure it out by the engine serial number.  

Regards!

AMC RULES

c-160.jpg.f65130332a691efdb6201090200bee8c.jpg5b81548f41ca9_wheelhorsinaround333607558.jpg.eba8613c3904ed740cc7617119792754.jpg

Mows4three

Squonk:     You are referring to this area in the photo, correct?

IMG_5276.JPG

Mows4three

Ha!   Thanks for the photos AMC.   Makes sense to me.   Don't even see holes for the tag rivets.  Hmmmm.   Another of my Wheel Horse mysteries.......

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Not under that Hy control mount...is it? 

Mows4three

I'll have to check to see if the hydro lever is mounted over it.  I guess anything is possible.  

AMC RULES
13 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

I guess, anything is possible.  

When considering our :wh: tractors...

you're absolutely correct.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

It is not around the corner facing the battery is it? Have seen a few fastened to the front of the lip of the side panel

Garry

Mows4three

I'll have to check when I get home ffrom on the farm. 

953 nut

5b81944805630_1Ci60tag.JPG.87fe5a27decc8862dc84a0d4d70e3f31.JPG

• Like 1

Mows4three

953:    You are absolutely correct.   Just got home and had a chance to see your post.   Wiped off the area above the hydraulic control and took this photo of not one, but TWO rivet holes in the side of the steering column tower.   Just where you'd expect to see them spaced. 

Mystery solved.  But, sadly no serial number will ever be captured for this gem.

Thanks guys!

Dave

IMG_5280.JPG

• Like 2