Sign in to follow this  
FatJackDurham

Shaft drive on Flywheel?

FatJackDurham

I was reading some posts where people talk about using 22HP Predators, so I was searching round the Internet for videos and such. One I saw was where they put them into tractors that have shaft drive, like a John Deere model I don't remember. They were basically bolting a universal joint onto the flywheel through a hole in the screen. 

Is this something that the engines were designed for? I know I think on the D- series, they have the PTO out the front grill of the tractor, so I was trying to figure out how they attached the shaft to the engine and still had the cooling work. Does anyone what to share their knowledge about these sort of things? I'm just interested.

pacer

On the D's the flywheel screen simply has a hole cut in the center to allow for a splined shaft bolted to the flywheel that connects to an 'adapter' that mates to the hyd pump.

I have a Massey Ferguson GT with a K341 that also has a similar setup driving a drive shaft back to a PTO drive point and then on to the Hyd pump.

Neither of these are ideal, the D at least has a rubber spacer between that will allow some 'give' to the drive, but still can have a short life span.

The MF has 3 solid splined connectors that allows NO 'give' accelerating the wear. And of course parts are NLA!! Heres a pic of mine with a mod I have done in an attempt to take slack out by adding set screws - I have a few hrs on it now and so far is still tight...

IMG_3620.JPG.371970adc8dfd44574d7ec8279480896.JPG

gwest_ca

Kohler has had front shafts available for a long time but this page from a 2011 catalog only lists them available for the Command engines as that is what their current production was. I did compare to an older catalog and most were the same parts but listed for the K-Series of engines. Have to do some digging to find it.

Garry

Kohler front drive shaft SS.jpg

RandyLittrell

Cub Cadet's used the shaft drive to the flywheel method throughout there production. The Original Cub Cadet had a belt drive but it was still driven on the flywheel side. The reason for that is to use the other end for the PTO. 

Randy