russellmc301

c -160 turns over slowly

russellmc301

i replaced the starter solenoid oj my c-160, wasnt craking before but now is but it turns over slowly when hook to the jump box. how many amps should there be in the jump box to start it? any other ideas of might be wroung?

ebinmaine

Could be a bad ground

FatJackDurham

can you easily turn the motor by hand if you take the the plug out? Could be a weak starter motor, or internal friction. If it turns easily with the plug out after a few turns, then I'd check the grounds, connectors, and finally the motor itself.

You can try just jumping a positive lead to the starter directly and see if the motor still turns slow. If so, its the motor or internal friction, i'd guess.

Ed Kennell

Hydro or 8 speed?

The Gman

By jumper box, meaning battery charger with engine start or a jumper pack. They typically range from 50-80 amps. I've seen some with 100 amp. This "should" be ample.

Knowing that lawn tractor batteries range between 325 to 400 some odd cranking amps.

If you haven't any engine trouble before, starter could be on its way out? The body of the starter would get hot quite quickly I suspect.

gwest_ca

If the starter turns the engine to a certain point before it stalls it could be excessive valve tappet clearance. That reduces or eliminates the automatic compression release.

Have seen a drive belt rusted to a pulley prevent the starter from turning the engine over. Didn't have enough power to break it loose.

Garry

rmaynard

Could just be a bad starter. My B-100 started having a problem that it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start, even with a fully charged battery. After replacing the starter with a new one, problem solved.

squonk

As starter bearings wear the armature starts dragging on the field windings or magnets. Replace the starter and the cables whilst your at it. Everything is 40 ish yrs. old. They don't owe you anything. 

953 nut

5b7f23c545fac_1electrical.jpg.a505b9cecf5bc2a77893fee848dbd7c7.jpg

• Like 1

russellmc301

ok ill check the ground and test the starter some more. the jumper is 300 amps