jellyghost

Tire Size Confusion

jellyghost

There is a local Auction with a pair of Carlisle 4-ply 24x12x12 tires.  It's my understanding the the standard Wheel Horse rim is 12 inches wide and these should fit, but when I look at Carlisle's website:

https://www.carlisletirestore.com/trf_mstr.htm

It appears to say a 24x12x12 tire needs an 8.5 inch wide rim.  If 12 is the mounting diameter, why does it ask for an 8.5 wide rim? 

WHX??

That 8.5  might be the MINIMUM size rim these tires can be put on.  24's can be a bit dicey on a horse unless fender pans are cut pending tread type and how the tires run.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, jellyghost said:

There is a local Auction with a pair of Carlisle 4-ply 24x12x12 tires.  It's my understanding the the standard Wheel Horse rim is 12 inches wide and these should fit, but when I look at Carlisle's website:

https://www.carlisletirestore.com/trf_mstr.htm

It appears to say a 24x12x12 tire needs an 8.5 inch wide rim.  If 12 is the mounting diameter, why does it ask for an 8.5 wide rim? 

8.5" is the width of the rim from lip(bead) to lip, the 12" is the tire (mounting) bead diameter most common rear tire size for a garden tractor is the 23x10.50-12 so with that being said the the 24x12-12 from CENTER 24" is only 1/2" taller not much of an issue with fender clearance , 12" is 3/4" wider but may or may not rub the inner fender near the gas tank and or hydro fan depends on your wheels (520s and xi had the widest with the best back spacing) and 12" correct wheel mounting diameter, hopefully this helped clear up things a wee bit, Jeff.

• Like 5

Achto

Miller suggestion of at least a 8.5" wide rim is ok. 12" wide tires would look much better on a 10" wide rim IMO. This would give less side wall bulge and allow the tire to sit more square on the ground. 

Here is a diagram for rim measurements.

rimsize.jpg.773c3a21561e5cb744da169352fe0015.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4