pfrederi

You want a Hight Quality Zero Turn??

pfrederi

looked at a Kubota diesel zero turn at the fair today...special Fair pricing = $16,000.00  ZD1511-72.  6 ' deck and probably pretty fast...but my 1951 Case VAC ($1100) and a 6 ' New Holland Finish mower  (about $1000) also gets the job done....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

CasualObserver

Apples and kumquats in that kinda comparison... But the Kubota diesel is one sweet zero turn. 

JAinVA

I have to agree that is an odd comparison.I would have to say also that I can't imagine the average homeowner spending $16,000 to get a grass cutter unless they also had the resources to have a grounds keeper.The VAC can do more than cut the grass which is why I think so many of us still keep the old WHs around because they can too.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

Dakota8338

The real advantage to the zero turn mowers is their speed, so far as only mowing grass is concerned.  If mowed regularly the zero turns will leave the mowed grounds with a nicer finish than the tractor & rotary mower, unless a finish mower is deployed with the tractor.

I have a lot of native (privet) hedge and do mow it, with my Scag Turf Tiger 61 inch zero turn, but when one goes much beyond small shrubs, they need to switch to the tractor & rotary mower.  The tractor and rotary mower (but not a finish mower) may be slow, but it will clear the ground of anything in its path, and as has already been stated, the tractor can do a lot more too!

WHX??

Me thinks that mower might be geared toward a professional grounds or lawnscape  keeper.  They put bacon on the table so to speak with those machines where time is truly money and downtime is not an option.

• Like 1

Cvans

I wonder how many years you could pay someone else to mow your yard for $16,000 dollars?   :unsure:

• Like 1

WHX??

LOL  @Cvans.... we got people around here that pay 16K a year to get their yard mowed! Guess I shoulda listened to mom and went to school and been a doctor or lawyer! :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

Digger 66

If I was going to spend 16K on a piece of yard equipment , you can bet it would be a 4X4 and have a bucket on the front ;)

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

My F.I.L has one of those diesel Kubota ZTR with a 61" deck (had it before I came along) anyways mowed 8+ acres until I took over 3 with the wife, yes if all you are going to do it mow and get it done fast this is the $h@@ but I still prefer my SCUT with 60" deck MFWD 3pt hitch FEL and steering wheel and :wh: over ZTR ,Jeff. 

• Like 3

Jerry77
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

steering wheel

For sure...can't keep my old arms in the air for very long....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

One buddy has one of those Kubota zero turns, diesel model and it mows like it's in Road Gear easily. Can't find the dumb clippings, no matter what length the grass was/is. Another uses a diesel Grasshopper - same thing - mows at nearly 14mph and leaves the most beautiful finish I've ever seen. Both are knocking just over $20,000 in price and mowing around 6-8 acres each - it's all about time and having the coin to pony up for that show - but they are sweet to operate. I get it done on this 1 acre with a '73 16 Auto easily, but it takes a while in comparison. Buddy has come over and mowed it for me when I was laid up - took him all of 18 minutes to do the whole property - takes me nearly 2hrs with the 48" deck and rough ground. I'd like to find the finish mower for the D's 3pt, but then again trying to navigate with that monster would probably take longer despite the larger 60" deck. It's all about the money/time/property - you pick your poison and go with it.

Sarge

• Like 1

Cvans
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

takes me nearly 2hrs with the 48" deck

That's just about the right amount of time to spend mowing. I enjoy being out and mowing. 

wh500special

Apples and kumquats is right.  There is no comparison. 

I had a Kubota ZD-28 for a while which was a precursor to the 1511 you saw.  It was a phenomenal machine.   

I wrote this a couple years ago:

“Later, I had a Kubota ZD-28 with a 6' deck and :thumbs: loved it. The 28 hp diesel engine ran strong and smooth and was really pretty easy on fuel. What took me 8 gallons of gas to mow with an old 724/60" and 5 gallons of diesel with a utility tractor and 6' deck got done with a little more than 2.5 gallons of diesel with the ZD. 

As far as I know, Kubota is the only maker who makes the ENTIRE machine (in the top end series)...engine, transmissions, frame, deck, etc. Most ZT's are assemblies of other manufacturer's parts...not that there is anything wrong with that. But the Kubota really seems more like an engineered product than an assembly of parts and pieces.

My 'bota had 3000+ hours on it when I got rid of it and still did a good job with acceptable reliability. If I ever find I need another monster mowing machine, it will be another Kubota diesel...or a Toro 16' batwing :)

i still stand by my assessment that Kubota really knows what they are doing with those machines.   They aren’t popular like other zero turns and they aren’t built like other zero turns.  They’re monsters.  

Steve

Edited by wh500special

Machineguy

27/60 Generac powered Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle. That’s just :twocents-02cents:

522490C1-5B3D-4EB2-8098-6F9EAF205C98.jpeg

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

The purchase price difference between my set up and the Kubota would buy Over 4,000 gallons of gas.  i will be pushing up daisies to be mowed off before i broke even :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1