Sign in to follow this  
past7971

Hey Allis Nut--1046

past7971

You might want to check out item 300299168397 on ebay. I couldnt find any info in any of my manuals on the 1046 to say spec number is same but if I understood correctly, it uses this "flat-pan" AS-blocked engine that the 1055's came with. Sellers in PA so shipping may be high or you might be able to pick-up if your going to the show in June.

past7971

Did some research and came up with these http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsega...s/message/45982 and http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=2274&hl=1046 I know the 1045, 1055 and 1075 all shared the same K241AS-46219A spec number and the 1046 did show up in Service Bulletin 301E as K241-46219A. I think the K241-46219A was a misprint because right below it, the 1056, 1076 is shown as K241AS-46333D and my 1076 was not a K241AS. The riser plate that was mentioned may be the tricky part because I cant verify its part number and can only speculate that it may be like the one used on Raider 8, 8hp-8speed, B-60, and B-80's unless it was left on your 1046 frame. Anyone else know???

DMESS

Why do you think spec 46219A is a misprint?

I can assure you the 1046 used the shallow sump K-241 like the 1045, 1055 and 1075. The engine is exactly what makes the tractor unique. For all other purposes it is a 1056 with the PT-6 pto standard from factory. 4 unique part numbers from the 1056....that's it.

The base plate (#6937) that the engine was mounted on is a unique part number in comparison to ones used on Teccy powered long frames or small block Kohler powerd B series machines.

past7971

The misprint in the 301E Service Bulletin I was referring to is the K241 (instead of K241AS) designation---not the 46219A code.

past7971

Dustin---Do you by chance know the difference between the 6937 riser plate and the 102317 riser plate used under the K161/181 Kohlers??? I know the 102317 was used to make up the height difference between K161/181 and K241/301/321/341 engines so that as an example in early C-series--the same belt guard, drive belt and output shaft placement was used. I wonder if the 6937 and 102317 might be the same height but the 6937 has more off-set to the side???

Allis nut

Hey guys thanks for all the info and the heads up n the motor. I am a little short of funds right now (laid off) so will just go with the 1968 8 horse i have for now. I will look at the portland swap meet and see what i can find though.

DMESS

I can't verify the difference either. My 1046 is still 2 states away. :whistle:

A few measurements of the "crank height" between a small block, standard "WH pan" big block and shallow sump big block might reveal the difference. A K241 with a standard pan could be used, but then you've literally defeated the whole point of this particular oddball machine and built a 1056.

As a side note there is no production info available on this tractor as the records from '65/'66 till the early '70's were lost. All I can offer is 20 years of fooling with this crap and only having knowledge of 6-7 of these machines. Based on the popularity of this hobby and the number of other "rare" machines that have turned up, the 1046 production had to be quite small. WHPI built 421 model 754 tractors and I know of a HECK of a lot more of those still in existence than 1046. :thumbs:

past7971

Thanks for the reply Dustin. As for me, I picked up a set of dealer manuals years ago and combined with years of busted knuckles working on and having owned about 85 tractors, I can only consider my knowledge to be what can probably best be referred to as "potentially dangerous" instead of "totally lethal". I obviously don't know it all and truly hope I never come across as a smart-a** when trying to help/answer someone and as with this 1046, can learn something new every day. Take care and if you get a chance, please post some pictures of your 1046.

DMESS

Paul, smart @$$ never crossed my mind, but I like the way you think! :thumbs:

These tractors are a life long learning experience and I'll be dead honest in admitting I still learn new things all the time. I think that's one of the beautiful facets of this little hobby. There is always something else to ponder, consider and learn. It keeps it interesting!