jellyghost

Dark Blue K-Series

jellyghost

I looked at two dark blue K-series engines today.  I don't think they were original to the garden tractors there were on.  One was built in 1987, but I can't figure out the date to the other because I can't find the serial number.  The tag has the HP = 12, the Model No. = K301S and the Spec. No. = 47688.  There doesn't appear to be a tag with the serial number. 

What does the dark blue color mean?

How do I date the 12hp engine without a serial number or how do I find the serial number? 

JAinVA

When you say dark blue is it like a Ford tractor blue or does it have a more greenish tone.If a Ford blue then maybe off a Ford gt.If more greenish then I believe it is the Kohler preference for factory color.I have a k341 that was on some industrial machine and it is painted Kohler blue-green.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

jellyghost

It's more a blue-green, but I would have called it a "midnight blue" based on Crayola colors.  They are definitely not a Ford blue.

If it's the factory color, does that mean it was probably sold as just an engine/replacement engine?

Edited by jellyghost

WHNJ701

I have several k engines that used this dark metallic blue/green,, I think if you bought just an engine it came that color from the factory 

• Like 2

JAinVA
1 hour ago, jellyghost said:

It's more a blue-green, but I would have called it a "midnight blue" based on Crayola colors.  They are definitely not a Ford blue.

If it's the factory color, does that mean it was probably sold as just an engine/replacement engine?

This many years out I would say that what you have is a replacement engine.It could have come from someone who stocked Kohler engines or was taken from just about anything.The k341 I have is a great engine but was set up to run at a constant speed.I am in the process of adding throttle control.Kohler engines were a popular engine and could be found on all kinds of equipment.

Edited by JAinVA

pacer

I bought a D160 with a K341 that had a blue color and the guy said that he had replaced and it that was the way it came when he bought it. Kinda backed up by the tractor being a 1974 model and the Kohler tag showing its a 1994 model.

• Like 1

ztnoo

I have a blueish K341 on my GT 14.

The original K321 ate a rod and punched a hole in the block, necessitating a repower.

It was my understanding when I had it replaced, it was a new, off-the-shelf, replacement engine which could have been used to replace a large displacement K series engine in many different applications.

• Like 1

artfull dodger

I have a ride on scale train in my back yard, the little switcher engine we have has a K91T that came new from Kohler in that color.   Pic taken at a club layout, my track is a really small loop in our back yard

Mike the Aspie

CBQ1.jpg

Edited by artfull dodger
  • Like 1