Sign in to follow this  
scifi4all

Replacing Deck Spindles

scifi4all

Hi,

I have tried to search previous posts dealing with this and I hope I am not rehashing anything. In this previous posting Red Square"TT" posted

Those spindles without the grease fittings are pemanently lubricated ( ) from the factory. The bearing and shaft is one unit and is pressed in to the spindle housing.

How exactly do i install the 3 new spindles i just got? do i have to coat them with grease or neverseize? Also, two of the old spindles appear to be original and came out with a fair amount of soaking with "Kroil" oil and some attention from a hammer. How can I clean up the light rust from the inside of the spindle housings without removing to much material? I only ask due to my assumption that the spindle bearings are supposed to fit quite tightly in the housing.

P2240010.jpg

P2240001.jpg

Any help would be great. I have waited a little late in the season to start these repairs. Thanks.

JimD

i drove my old bearings out with a hammer, cleaned up the housing with scotch brite, or some sandpaper, blew them out with air. then i started the bearings in with a few light taps of the hammer, and finished driving them in using my vise. work really well for me, good luck! oh, i didn't use any type of lube to help them in, don't want them to slip in the housing.... :thumbs:

jim

scifi4all

Thanks FAN.

I just got the old spindles out of the housings last night and had not tried to install the new ones yet. I will give the vise a try.

jabadamutt

I know this is an old post, but maybe someone can help... I have a deck on my B80 which looks exactly like the one pictured here. My question is how do you lube the spindles? The manuals I have read say that the zerk fittings are on the top of the spindle shafts. The top of my spindle shaft have a bolt that holds the pullys on. The bottoms have a bolt that holds the blades on... I can't figure where the zerks would be... Thanks!

Don1977

Those are Double D's they don't have grease fittings.

jabadamutt

Thanks for the reply Don. So what can I do as far as maintenance, spray spindles with WD40 do any good? Or just let them be? There is a little growling noise coming from the bearings. One other thing, what does Double D mean, is that short for something, does it refer to the spindles only?

kpinnc

I'm not familiar with these particular spindles- so forgive me if this isn't feasable.

Can you not drill and tap a hole for a grease zerk into the spindle bodies? Even if you had to remove the deck to grease them, it's far better than "permanent" (AKA temporary) lubrication...

TT

Those spindles have the 103119 "water pump" bearing assembly and are permanently lubed / sealed.

Example: http://tewarehouse.com/230-078

"Double D" refers to the appearance of the ends of the spindle shaft.

Imagine two opposing D shapes being joined together:

post-33-0-09099000-1354805344.png

Don1977

Here is one can't see the flat sides on the spindle in this picture.

SAM_0114.jpg

jabadamutt

Thanks, you guys are educating me. I guess when they get too bad, my only option is to replace the "water pump" type bearings on my "Double D" spindles. Dang, I'm talking like y'all now!