Lake Delhi

16HP K341S back fire

Lake Delhi

I have a Wheelhorse C160 with a 16HP Kohler model K341S. Every once in a while it backfires and dies. Then after a while it starts up again and then runs fine for a while. I was wondering what could cause this?

Thanks, Tyler

lynnmor

A backfire is often caused by a lean mixture, check for vacuum leaks and clean the carburetor.

953 nut

:WRS:

I would start with cleaning the ignition points and replacing the spark plug. If you have been using gas with ethanol in it the fuel system is probably gunked up. Fuel lines and filter should be replaced. Non-ethanol gas can be found on this site, https://www.pure-gas.org/

Another thing to check would be the fuel cap. If the vent is plugged the fuel tank will develop a slight vacuum as fuel is removed from it, as the vacuum becomes greater the fuel pump can't overcome it and fuel starvation will occur. When it setts for a while the pressures equalize and it will start and run for a while longer. 

rjg854

Same size engine I'll get a backfire out the exhaust every once in a while, even if sits at idle for a bit before I shut it down.  Not every time,  not all the time,  just occasionally :confusion-scratchheadblue: To rich? Points? Other than that, seems to run great,  but I will say she's a thirsty beast.