FatJackDurham

Need info on refurbishing deck spindles

FatJackDurham

I have read a few posts that talk about replacing the bearings in deck spindles, and I wanted to find out what the broader experience here is. I have an old 42 in deck, the one I welded new baffles into, that is LOUD when I mow. My neighbor swears it needs new bearings in the spindles.

So, I wanted to find out if this is common and likely, and how to tell what kind of deck, spindles and bearings I have and what kind I need to buy, and what I need to know about putting new bearings in.

Anyone want to start? Let me know what kind of ident to find on the deck, and I’ll post it. I am pretty sure the original label or serial number plate is gone, though.

JAinVA

Bad spindle bearings are easy to detect.With the deck off remove the deck belt.Grab each pulley and rotate while keeping your hand in contact with the pulley.If you feel any roughness then you have a bad bearing in that spindle.It depends on the spindle as to replacement parts.The 42 inch decks I have are from different vintages but to remove the spindle is the same.Remove the blades and back off the pulley nut while leaving still it fully engaged to the spindle.Use a spacer keep from damaging the grease fitting and drive the spindle out of the bearings.Once the spindle is out then the bearings can be removed from the housing.

daveoman1966

There are 3 types of spindles, depending on year of deck.  Very old ones are known as the 'Double D" type and the give-away is the bolt that holds the blade on, and the blade itself.  If the blade has a 1/4" locating hole on each side of the spindle shaft, and is bolted to a cast iron spindle cup, it is a Double D type.  Otherwise, the spindle has a round threaded shaft and accepts 3/4" dia round-hole blades held on by a hex nut & washer. Of the latter, there are two types of spindle shafts...one is 3/4" dia at the grease zerk and it uses a woodruff key.  The other shaft type is 5/8" dia at the zerk on top and does NOT use a woodruff key.   When you decide what type of spindle(s) your's has, then bearings can be located.  

• Like 2

FatJackDurham

Thanks both! I'll get the deck out and start looking to see what I have.

Skipper

And to further comment on if it is common that spindle bearings go bad..........YES, very much so. 

Also you can detect bad bearings in your spindle, by spinning a spindle up by hand. If there is any noise besides swish swish, then the bearing is no good. No growling, burring, snarling, or any other sound, but just silent smooth running, is indication of one or more bad bearings, provided nothing is stuck or otherwise damaged. And of cause there can be no play in a bearing either ;-) 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
20 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

I have an old 42 in deck that is LOUD when I mow. My neighbor swears it needs new bearings in the spindles.

Anyone want to start?

You could replace the bearings or buy your neighbor a pair of these...See the source image

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Blades out of balance can destroy a deck and make a lot of noise doing it.

Garry