illinilefttackle

WHEEL HORSE REAR WHEELS SAFE FOR HIGHWAY USE ?

illinilefttackle

Hi Guys- I'm speaking of wheels not tires. I picked up a small trailer and by using a wheel that is offset, I can gain enough track width to help getting tractors with larger decks aboard. Thanks for any advice you may give!

GO ILLINI!

JAinVA

The rear wheels of a Wheel Horse were never designed to be run at highway speeds.If you look closely at the metal thickness at the bolting area  compared to a trailer wheel you will see that the trailer wheel has thicker metal.Do yourself and the rest of us that use the roads a favor. Do not use the tractor rim as a substitute for what is correct for the trailer.If you have a rim failure it will not be pretty.If there is an accident and it is discovered that you used an unapproved wheel then think about how liable you will be.You may get away with this trick but if someone gets hurt is it worth the convenience?

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JAinVA said:

The rear wheels of a Wheel Horse were never design to be run at highway speeds.If you look closely at the metal thickness at the bolting area  compared to a trailer wheel you will see that the trailer wheel has thicker metal.Do yourself and the rest of us that use the roads a favor. Do not use the tractor rim as a substitute for what is correct for the trailer.If you have a rim failure it will not be pretty.If there is an accident and it is discovered that you used an unapproved wheel then think about how liable you will be.You may get away with this trick but if someone gets hurt is it worth the convenience?

I was just about to write pretty much all the same stuff down. I'll add to it with this.

If you're trying to increase your track with, there are 3 inch wide DOT Legal aluminum spacers you can purchase. I know because I have them on the back of my b80 to increase the track width on that.

• Like 3

JAinVA

Eric,thanks for mentioning the spacers.I had not thought of that.Real good solution.I truly hope that enough of the members here share our concern and discourage this application of the wrong rim for the job!

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

BOB ELLISON

My thoughts  exactly as @JAinVA.

The tires and rims used on the riding mowers or small tractors are not for hyway use. There made thinner then a regular trailer tire. And they exceed 1200 RPM’S  at hyway speeds can and do separate when hot.

Here's a chart and as you can see it only goes up to 45 Mph.file.jpg.3f682fd5179b236f4cff3eb8058afded.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 4

illinilefttackle

Thanks Guys- I've been around pee patch a few times & would never just use a wheel or anything that was not approved. Thats why I asked those who know. Thanks again. My worries on the spacers is not that puts a lot on strain on the elongated lugs to mount them. - Al

JAinVA

I share your concern about the added stress of the spacers but still would use them over the wrong wheel.Tractor supply and others have replacement axles that may work for you.On the popular internet marketplace there is a couple in the Midwest who can make a custom trailer axle for a reasonable amount.I hope you don't feel anyone is picking on you but what you asked got our attention.Luck,JAinVA 

Edited by JAinVA

953 nut
1 hour ago, illinilefttackle said:

Hi Guys- I'm speaking of wheels not tires. I picked up a small trailer and by using a wheel that is offset, I can gain enough track width to help getting tractors with larger decks aboard. Thanks for any advice you may give!

GO ILLINI!

Have you considered getting a longer axle and putting your hubs on it. They do come in several widths, take a look.

https://www.agrisupply.com/trailer-axles-and-parts/c/5000033/

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

Tankman

Get some highway wheels.

FYI spacers for garden tractor wheels and extensions if you want dual wheels on your Horse.

www.xtrememotorworks.com

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

Sarge

With more info on the trailer axle and spindle - there is a chance to increase track width by either changing the spindle or the hub, just depends on how much you need. This stuff all becomes pretty critical as loads are added as the stress of hitting bumps/holes can snap the spindle right off. Wider axles aren't that expensive and you can get bare ones and use your spindles/hubs as well if you stay within the same weight rating group. Be careful trying to mess around with the geometry on a trailer - they are engineered specifically for safety and alterations can throw them off very quickly. Most times it's cheaper and easier to get a larger or different layout trailer versus trying to modify an existing one. Used, some sizes are worth nearly what they cost new, so shop around and test the market as well.

Sarge

illinilefttackle

Thanks Guys- the way the trailer sits now- it has 3 bars over each exposed inner wheel & tire- inside width of bars is just big enough to squeak a 42" cut mower deck between them-If I could gain an inch on each side it would be great! All "Size matters"!

Al