Ryan The Red

Fluid Delima

Ryan The Red

Hello guys and gals...! I was going to change the transaxle fluid in my GT-14 today and noticed that the previous owner put hydraulic oil in it instead of ATF or 10w-30. I was wanting to do a change with ATF. Would it mess anything up if I do that. I've got a 40' genie s40 man lift with ATF "winter package" they say at the rental place I bought it from and I've seen others with the regular 'ol hydro fluid in them. I just didnt know if it'd hurt or not and wanted to hear everyone's feedback on it. Thanks in advance...! 

Digger 66

Welcome Ryan .

I'm no oil expert but I'd just drain the old stuff and pour in what is recommended .

Then run it for a bit and do it again .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryan The Red

Thank you for the welcome👍🏻

Definitely some food for thought.

The hydro oil did have a slight red cast to it. I stuck a piece of white paper under the drips into the drain pan and then did the same to 10w-30. If the pump and internals were getting worn would that call for something with a thicker viscosity? Like the 10w-30 or hydro oil, or was that what the po. had on hand or maybe just didn't know?  

Ryan The Red

953 nut, very informative link about oils & fluids I think I'll be making the switch to sae 10w-30 

Thank you...! 

:handgestures-thumbupright:

KC9KAS

@Ryan The Red :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Thanks 1

Ryan The Red

Thank you 

daveoman1966

Hydraulic oil such as Hy-trans and the like should NOT be used in the Sundstrand Hydro-gear or the later model Sundstrand piston-to-piston units.  These were made to use either ATF or 10-30 motor oil.  I am no chemist, and not a hydraulic expert by any means, but I've been told by an old-time Wheelhorse dealer / mechanic to NEVER use hydraulic oil in my Wheelhorses.  Apparently, Hy-tran and the like have chemical additives detrimental to Sundstrand units.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryan The Red

Yikes...! That's not good. Hopefully it didn't ruin anything by the po doing that. I drained everything out yesterday lifted the front end (hoses are replaced too) so I'm gonna use 10w-30 run it a bit drain it out again and fill it back up with 10w-30 and call it good. Fingers crossed 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Hydraulic oil such as Hy-trans and the like should NOT be used in the Sundstrand Hydro-gear or the later model Sundstrand piston-to-piston units.  These were made to use either ATF or 10-30 motor oil.  I am no chemist, and not a hydraulic expert by any means, but I've been told by an old-time Wheelhorse dealer / mechanic to NEVER use hydraulic oil in my Wheelhorses.  Apparently, Hy-tran and the like have chemical additives detrimental to Sundstrand units.    

But Cub Cadet hydros are Sundstrand and use IH Hy-Tran...maybe you are referring to the WH Eaton 1100?

• Like 1

pfrederi
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

But Cub Cadet hydros are Sundstrand and use IH Hy-Tran...maybe you are referring to the WH Eaton 1100?

and John Deere which used Eatons for a time specifies JD 20 fluid ...(their version of Hy-Tran i guess)

Awhile back i was looking at filters for hydros.  Sunsdtrand and Eaton made hydros for different tractor manufactures and there was a wide variety of fluid and filter recommendations for what was essentially the same hydro unit. 

We tend to obsess over fluid and oils....I guess it is because it is something we feel we can control.  People swear by this brand or another but others use other brands with no issues.  My L107 has run 51 years with 40w motor oil in the transmission not problems.  I have sundstrand units that run ATF and some 10w-30  no difference in performance.

Bottom line what ever you chose to use will probably work OK if you keep it clean, keep the water out and do not mix it....

• Like 2