Ragtoprider

New to the forum

Ragtoprider

Hi everyone;

I grew up with a faithful WheelHorse as our farmyard machine, and now have three of my own, but I have had trouble identifying one of them. 

It was restored from basket case before I got it, so there is no tag to help me.

Based on the photo, what model is it most likely to be? She is a hydrostatic machine, I presume from the sixties.....any help appreciated.

Bruce

New Hampshire

Wheel Horse 2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

JAinVA

I can't help with the ID but welcome.If the folks here can't tell you no one can.It sure is pretty what ever the model.

kasey54

Sure is nice.

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Bruce!

I'm only about a half hour from you, over in South Hiram, Maine.

Absolutely beautiful tractor you have there!!

You're correct on your guess of the 60's. What engine is in there?

Others will be along that can narrow it down more for you...

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Retired Wrencher

:WRS:    What Eric said it would help if we new what engine you have. It still may not be the right engine but it would lead us in the right direction.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher

rjg854

:WRS: from that angle that's about the best I can do also is to say it's from the 60's, the engine appears to be larger than an 8hp, but can't say for sure, maybe a 10 or a 12hp :think:

953 nut

:WRS:

Considering the modifications the :wh: has seen it is hard to pin down a year and model. Based on what I can see in this photo my best guess would be a 1077 or 1277 depending on engine size. One thing is for sure, it looks nice.           :text-coolphotos:

Sarge

I'd have to agree - it's most likely a 1967. That 7-slot grill, hydro and a big block. Not the stock 2-spoke steering wheel, but that narrow hood with the tapered bottom gives it away as to the year. Earlier '66 models used a lower mounted hydro/parking brake mechanism versus the '67. Looks as though the front axle has been swapped out as well.

Sarge

• Like 2

Tankman
9 hours ago, kasey54 said:

Sure is nice.

:text-yeahthat: Welcome!  Great Stallion you have there!

WHX??

What the other guys said... 12 or 1077. What's not to like about the sickle bar?!?! :handgestures-thumbupright:

:WRS:

• Like 3

roadapples

Nice...:handgestures-thumbupright:

jay bee

:text-welcomewave:  Nice :wh: !!!

Ragtoprider

Thank you all for the warm welcome! What a great group :) 

I really appreciate all the feedback...I had no idea when I got this (it was the first one I was able to get) that it was sort of "modified"....seems to be a bit of this and a bit of that, but knowing it is most likely essentially a '67 1077 is very helpful. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s a fifty fifty one fifty two fifty three fifty four fifty five fifty six fifty seven fifty eight fifty nine WheelHorse Mobile...  (might have borrowed most of them ideas from Mr Cash)

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
Just now, pullstart said:

It’s a fifty fifty one fifty two fifty three fifty four fifty five fifty six fifty seven fifty eight fifty nine WheelHorse Mobile...  (might have borrowed most of them ideas from Mr Cash)

Absolutely one of the best songs ever written.

• Like 4

WHX??
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Good one Kev....Here you go EB. Maybe Johnny shoulda got a job in South Bend!?!?

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2

WHX??

BTW Ragtop here is a 10 and 1277 for comparison ... Only difference between the two models is the engine.

20180520_160035[1].jpg

20180520_160021[1].jpg

• Like 1

Ragtoprider
12 hours ago, WHX20 said:

BTW Ragtop here is a 10 and 1277 for comparison ... Only difference between the two models is the engine.

20180520_160035[1].jpg

20180520_160021[1].jpg

Thank you! This explains why I could never find pics of one with round headlights in the grille...it's not supposed to have them! Mine is more like the one with the underbelly mower, which I am guessing is the larger of the two engines...this thread has been very helpful..thanks again :)

Wheel Horse 1.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
21 hours ago, WHX20 said:

Maybe Johnny shoulda got a job in South Bend!?!?

The results could have been interesting

WHX??
10 hours ago, Ragtoprider said:

round headlights in the grille...it's not supposed to have them!

Right!

The 1077 on the right is not supposed to have a black eye  either, just a decal.  A PO had cut that out trying to fit a :wh: headlight bucket in there I presume. Headlights on these model tractors were often a dealer or owner installed "bugeye" option much like the one eyed tractor on the left. The only '67 tractors to have factory head lights were the six speeds, the 1067 & 1267.

Any chance there is a tag on the engine Ragtop? That would help us confirm the year if this is the original motor. Not that it matters, still a fine working example of a mid sixties tractor.

If you get the time we would appreciate some pics of that sickle bar!

11 hours ago, Ragtoprider said:

one with the underbelly mower, which I am guessing is the larger of the two engines

Correct, that is the 12 hp version.

• Like 1

Sarge

I had one very late '67 1277 that had the '68 hood on it with headlight - the serial number was pretty high so either it got the later style hood on it or someone had swapped it. Otherwise, those models never had an opening for the headlight, just a decal. The grill's seven slots give it away - these were the only models to have it besides the short wheelbase 876 and 877.

Sarge

WHX??
1 minute ago, Sarge said:

someone had swapped it

More than likely Sarge, I have a long frame hood with the bucket I am considering putting on it once it comes in the shop. Biggest problem is finding a decent lens.