redbeard22

Wheel horse XL build

redbeard22

Hey everyone, just wanted to post up a couple pics of a project im currently working on. The goal of this project is to make a wheelhorse style tractor similar in size to a d250 but simple design like the smaller models. I am building a custom frame based on a wheelhorse frame but heavier duty,longer and wider. This tractor will have a 12hp briggs from another wheelhorse, a 6speed trans with 1.125 axles, 26x12-12 rear tires, hydraulic lift and possibly a 3pt hitch. Ill post some pics let me know what you guys think. It might take me a minute to figure our the picture thing.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Marv

looking forward to following this. Will be quite a task i am sure.

Marv

953 nut
58 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

figure our the picture thing.

Upload the pictures to your computer, click on the choose files... at the lower left of a new post and it will take you to your photos on the computer.

:wwp:                                                 :text-coolphotos:

Sarge

So, you're building a C-195 (Super C) or a heavier version of a D-200?

Sarge

redbeard22

im having trouble resizing the pics to be able to fit them on here under the 10kb limit. is there a thread explaining how to do this?

Skipper

Ah that is because you are not a supporter i think. I can upload any size pic and video.

You can rezise with a large number of tools. Personally I find it easy to send them in an email to myself, and have outlook rezise to "small". Takes seconds.

• Like 1

redbeard22

ok ill give that a try

• Like 1

redbeard22

here is the front of the frame where the front axle attaches. the frame is 3x3 angle iron 3/8 thick the plates for the front axle are 3/8 thick and the axle pin is 1in

front axle attachment.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

redbeard22

well it looks like I have reached my limit for uploads with just one pic so give me a little time so I can sign up to be a supporter and hopefully later today I can post more pics

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Looks fantastic so far.

This could be an awesome machine!!

I'll be following along.

Thanks for becoming a supporter.

• Like 2

Machineguy

I like it!! This is gonna be cool!! 

Thanks for sharing! :text-goodpost:

• Like 2

953 nut

:thanks:    for becoming a Supporter.    :text-coolphotos:

A bit off topic, but I've got to ask, what the heck were you taking apart with a ten foot pipe on the end of a pipe wrench?      :ychain:

20180818_162123.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

redbeard22

Lol that was used to try to take the nut off of a trailer hitch ball on my truck, it was pretty rusty and on there for a while.

• Like 4

Skipper

Awesome project!

Could you spice it up with some more measurements and references to how you upscale, and why you make the design and material choices you do? That would be insight in why you do as you do, and what you are aiming for. And it would be very interesting reading for those who might have similar idears ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

redbeard22

Now the front is 43 inches to thebbn outside of the tires which is rite where i wanted to be about the same as a d250 i think they are 44 but the back does not have the correct wheels and tires that i will be using i dont have them yet. I plan to use 26x12-12 on the rear probably bar tread as i will be using this tractor in the woods to pull my small dump trailer for firewood. Once i get the correct tires on the rear the frame will sit perfectly level front to back. Next is figuring out what to do about the sheetmetal. I was thinking of widening the original center console and dash to the new width of 13 inches but not sure how comfortable that will be. I will also be stretching and widening a hood and adding running boards 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

redbeard22

The while objective behind this build is to have a tractor the size of a d250 or john deere x700 series. I saw one of the jd x700 at a local fair and liked the size but about had a heart attack when i saw the price. So here i am building one. I got all my dimensions from tractor data and found a d250 to be almost the same size as a x700 so i referenced dimensions from both. The choice of material for the frame was easy. Wheelhorse had a tough simple design that they stuck with for many years because it worked so all i did was figure since its going to be a bigger heavier duty tractor so should the frame so i just used angle iron and plate that i thought would be good enough to handle the job.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

Wheelhorse had a tough simple design that they stuck with for many years because it worked

I'm thinking you've made a great choice modeling after these.

• Like 1

redbeard22

Im going to consider this tractor a wheelhorse even though some of the parts are off a john deere. Its still going to be red with white wheels when its all done just need to come up a model name

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

come up a model name

Get her closer to completion and post some pics under a separate heading looking for a name.

We'll be glad to throw a few out.

Many of us end up naming our own horses anyway.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut
9 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

need to come up a model name

Considering how strong it will be I would offer the name Hercules.

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts

Looks great so far. I don't know exactly your plans but I do have a few suggestions. If you have room try and tuck in a hydraulic reservoir. The bigger the better. Use float position on the hydraulic cylinders as well. Extremely handy on a 3pt. You should also size the 3pt to a cat1 rather than cat0. Power steering would also be extremely helpful especially given how big and heavy this will be. 

Looking great so far. Will love following this thread. 

redbeard22

I like the idea of power steering that may be an upgrade in the future for now im just trying to get it running and driving before fall when it is firewood season need it to drive through the woods and tow my small dump trailer and im also on a tight budget. Hydraulics are in the plan but they may not happen rite away.

• Excellent 1

Chris G

Looking good so far! I will be following along on this one as well.

• Like 1