redbeard22

Wheel horse XL build

Pullstart

8D2C99BE-787E-49F1-8ACB-87974BF28B43.jpeg

31F02B75-09D7-4DDA-9BD6-1ACC78464F7D.jpeg

4AB22FA7-A74B-42F9-874D-B6533FD9CF5A.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Machineguy

I’ve not seen the mounting location of the Flux Capacitor yet. That’s the item I’m very curious to see wired up. :ROTF::ychain:

Good work you’re doing redbeard! I’m enjoying watching your progress. Thanks again for sharing with us. 

• Haha 1

redbeard22
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

8D2C99BE-787E-49F1-8ACB-87974BF28B43.jpeg

31F02B75-09D7-4DDA-9BD6-1ACC78464F7D.jpeg

4AB22FA7-A74B-42F9-874D-B6533FD9CF5A.jpeg

That splitter is awsome. Does it have a standard 2 stage pump or is it single? If its not single you deffinetly have enough power to run a single stage and split wood super fast. I bet that foot pedal is nice too not having to mess with a handle. Does it automaticly retract qhen you let off?

• Thanks 1

redbeard22
3 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

I’ve not seen the mounting location of the Flux Capacitor yet. That’s the item I’m very curious to see wired up. :ROTF::ychain:

Good work you’re doing redbeard! I’m enjoying watching your progress. Thanks again for sharing with us. 

Well i dont think im going to need a flux capacitor not going to be doing any time travel but thanks im hopeing i can get this project at least usable in a timely fashion. Firewood season is sneaking up fast so i need to hurry.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Since that motor is often replacing an Onan I would guess at least a 20 amp charge coil. Maybe 30? Couldn't find it in the manual.

posifour11
33 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

O'Reilly's has them. Look it up on their website. :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

That splitter is awsome. Does it have a standard 2 stage pump or is it single? If its not single you deffinetly have enough power to run a single stage and split wood super fast. I bet that foot pedal is nice too not having to mess with a handle. Does it automaticly retract qhen you let off?

Theres a proximity switch on the ram, so as soon as the foot pedal or switch is released, it automatically retracts until it hits that proximity switch again.  I think it’s single stage, but I haven’t needed to work on it yet, so I couldn’t say for sure.  The guy who built it used an old scissor lift as a start, so there are wires everywhere that are unused and should be cleaned out of the harness some day.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

The early version Samurai engines were carbureted up until 1991 - even then, the efi system is simple. The 1.3L engine is quite light - only 150lbs with the flywheel.

Early Subarus used a nice flat four that was carbureted as well, both are dead reliable. One issue you'd have with these lightweight, small displacement aluminum engines is a lack of real-world torque. They make their power above 4,000rpms, so you'd have to factor that in. Another one to consider is the twin cylinder Harley or other bike engines, they are quite powerful for their size but of course not cheap unless you find a wrecked bike. There is a whole slew of shaft drive rear ends in both gear drive and hydro - pick the strongest you can find.

Most fun I ever had was driving a go-kart that we swapped a 600cc bike engine onto - that Kawasaki would almost rip your head off and the speeds the cart would hit wasn't exactly a good idea, but fun.

Sarge

• Haha 1

redbeard22

Dont worry i havent given up on this project just been busy working on a few customer vehicles trying to get them out of the way then its back to tractor building. How would you guys like to tackle this mess.

20180904_183539.jpg

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
3 minutes ago, redbeard22 said:

Dont worry i havent given up on this project just been busy working on a few customer vehicles trying to get them out of the way then its back to tractor building. How would you guys like to tackle this mess.

20180904_183539.jpg

No thanks! I work in the body shop of a chevy dealer and when they have some of those torn down, I'm glad I work in the dept. I do! 

Randy

• Haha 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, redbeard22 said:

How would you guys like to tackle this mess.

No thanks trying to quit..... 'sides waaayy out of my comfort zone! :)

• Haha 1

redbeard22
14 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

No thanks! I work in the body shop of a chevy dealer and when they have some of those torn down, I'm glad I work in the dept. I do! 

Randy

This job isnt to bad the worst part was getting the valve covers off. Everything else is a breeze. The timing components have little marks on them to get everything lined up and when your done spin the engine over 2 times with a big ratchet and if everything still lines back up then its good to go. I got another job coming in after this one new active fuel managment delete kit to put in a tahoe but hopefully ill get a few days in between to work on the horse build. Ill definitely have some new pics of whats goin on i want to get the jack shaft and engine mounted then hopefully the steering sorted out.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Dif’rent strokes... some people like to dive in to the mechanicals, where you not so much have to worry about fit/finish as long as it runs better than you started with, some think that fit/finish is the easy part.  Some people only wire, some hate it!  I like to try my hand at most anything, but my 502 hood was the first steel body work I’ve ever done and it taught me a lot.  But I’m surely better at mechanics and wiring than smooth and shiney!

• Excellent 1

redbeard22

Got some more work done today clutch/belt tensioner is done similar to original style wheelhorse, drive belt runs inside frame to a seperate idler that will have a belt that runs up to crank pulley on engine. I will also be installing another idler to take up the slack in the drive belt. Also got the rear tires just need to redrill mounting holes to smaller pattern. The clutch shaft is removeable by taking out cotter pin and roll pin then removing brass bushings on either end then it slides out of the frame. Ill have pics of one of the tires bolted on tomorrw. Then i need to get started on the steering.

20180915_161751.jpg

20180915_161759.jpg

20180915_161810.jpg

20180915_161826.jpg

20180915_161846.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Oh yeah!

bds1984
On 9/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, redbeard22 said:

20180904_183539.jpg

4.6L in a Crown Victoria?

redbeard22
1 hour ago, bds1984 said:

4.6L in a Crown Victoria?

5.4 24 valve in an expedition 

redbeard22

Ok got one of the wheels redrilled and bolted on ill get the other one done possibly tomorrow. Im gonna need to get some spacers as it sits in 1 inch farther than the front. The new tires are perfect. With those on the frame sits level and looks awsome this thing is gonna be a beast. Let me know what u guys think. By the way im case anyone was wondering that tire is on a 15x10 wheel and tires are 26x12 and they are heavy. Once i get them filled and find a set of weights I shouldnt have any traction problems:auto-dirtbike:

20180916_161023.jpg

20180916_161045.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Chris G

Looking good!

redbeard22

I have another customers vehicle in the shop rite now so not gonna have much time for the tractor for about a week and my other rear tire hasnt arrived yet. Hopefully soon though i will get back to work on this thing and have it done in time for firewood season and snow plowing. I am trying to keep it as much of a wheelhorse as i can but i think im gonna paint it orange and grey.:blink:i know what you guys are thinking wheelhorses are red and thats it but i am gonna make up some custom decals and i think name it  work horse and maybe the model can be clydesdale 12 since its 12 hp just throwin ideas out there

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Orange is my favorite color so I'm ok with that.... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Could also do Belgian 12

Or

Draft horse...

• Like 1

redbeard22
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Orange is my favorite color so I'm ok with that.... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Could also do Belgian 12

Or

Draft horse...

I like both of those ideas I mite just have to go with that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Hey @redbeard22, how ya coming along?

stevebo

Loving this build so far. Looks awesome. I may have missed it but what are you going to power it with?

bizon

Looks nice !  I cant wait till it is finished  what are you going to do with it ? Or is it just for the show?