Sign in to follow this  
Ohio_Tractor_Nut

1976 A-100 Restore

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Hello ... I am new, but very glad that I found you guys! I have been wanting to restore an old wheelhorse for a long time. I stumbled upon this old A-100 that an elderly couple had in their barn. They were the original owners and still had the manuals and service records.

I have stripped the old girl down completely and had all of the pieces sand blasted. I know it is just a smaller verticle shaft yard tractor, but it is a great place to start and it is still a horse!

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/o...ewHorse-001.jpg

Picture of her when I brought her home

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/o...ewHorse-002.jpg

Chassis painted and drying

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/o...ewHorse-005.jpg

Picture of many of the parts ready for reassembly

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/o...ewHorse-004.jpg

Hood and fenders

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/o...t/Kubota001.jpg

The wheelhorses big brother

I will keep you guys posted on the progress of this project. When I am finished, I will be looking for another one to restore. The wife is beginning to think I have lost my mind!

TJ

Good work and :thumbs: .

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Thank you and Thanks! :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

:whistle: Glad you could join us.

That looks just about like my A-800 Ranger.

And you have the fairly rare plow for a vertical

shaft wheel horse. :whistle:

In the future.....remember to copy the "IMG" code

from the pictures on photobucket and paste them here.

That way the pictures will show up right on your post. :thumbs:

BTW...love the pup!

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Thank you ... I am glad to be a part of the forum! I didn't know the plow was a bit tough to find. I will be restoring that when the tractor is done.

Thanks for the note on the pictures. I was trying to figure that one out but I couldn't get it.

His name is bruiser and he can be a real pain in the butt. He seems a bit interested in the horse. I will get a picture of him riding in the cart behind the horse when it is finished. :thumbs:

I blasted the front spindles and primed them today. I scuffed and primed the tie-rods also. By Saturday I should be starting the reassembly. I will get some pics this weekend to post.

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

OK guys ... I havn't posted in a while, but I have made some progress. Here are some pictures of the chassis mostly assembled with a second coat of paint and drying ....

DSC00601.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

And here are some pictures after today's progress ...

DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0772-1.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

DSCN0773.jpg

I will add more as I progress ... :omg:

d180man

Hi nice job ! looks like new! :omg: keep it up ! :drool: for the photos!

WHC-125

LOOKS GREAT :drool: Cant wait to see it done :omg:

bitten

Tractor-nut

Looks like you are doing a great job. The way it looks now Im sure you will be very happy with it when you are done.

Oh and :omg:

P.J.

From Kenton

HorseFixer

Looks good tractor Nut :drool: In a few of the pictures I was begining to wonder the paint was looking kinda orange but I see in the last ones looks good must be the flash on the camera mine does the same thing sometimes at different angles! Anyways keep up the good work! :omg:

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Thanks for the compliments guys! I have been working on this old girl for about a month now and I really love the feeling of bringing it back to its original self. I think these Wheel Horses will continue to be a hobby for life. I am really glad I found this site and others who share my obsession!

Anyway, I progressed quite a bit today, but I did not have a camera with me. I got the chassis clear-coated, mounted the engine, mounted the dash, mounted the tail-light and started the wiring. I will be finishing the wiring tomorrow ... actually, I should have everything complete tomorrow except for the second coat of paint and the clear-coat on the hood. I will get more pictures tomorrow of the progress.

Horsefixer - I used a camera from work that was in my truck on the first few pictures, which really made the paint look orange for some reason. In the other pictures, I used my wife's camera which does a much better job.

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Here are some updated pictures guys. The pictures aren't that great ... I had the flash on and shouldn't have.

Anyway, I have posted in the engines thread that I got it all back together and hooked up the battery and I am getting smoke coming out from under the flywheel. The engine is off and the light switch is in the off position when this happens. I think I have a short between the alternator and the starter solenoid or the alternator and the light switch. I have some digging to do tomorrow.

Here are the latest pictures:

Picture005.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Irv

you may have crossed the wires coming from the alternator.

Coadster32

Looks good. Great feeling huh!

Suburban 550

Lookin' really good. :omg: Sharp lookin' tractor.

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

I found out what the smoke issue was. I removed a diode in one of the wires while doing the tear-down. I reinstalled it and things were good. I put everything back together after the search for the issue and it fired right up. I took it for a couple of laps around the yard and the carb took a dump on me :omg::drool::drool: She is now going into the Toro dealer who is a friend of mine for a tune-up. I am sure they will get her running top knotch. All that is left is the final coat of paint then clear on the hood and she will be a machine. I will post further progress.

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Well ... the old girl is finally finished. She is a bit dusty in the pictures, but you get the idea. I have decided I will be restoring another one just like it to actually use mowing and plowing snow. I will start another string for that one.

Wheelhorse-1.jpg

Wheelhorse-2.jpg

Wheelhorse-3.jpg

Wheelhorse-4.jpg

:omg:

bitten

Great job. Looks like you did a top notch paint job.

HorseFixer

Looks good tractor nut! :omg:

Brian1045

Awesome job!

I've always like the looks of those lil tractors when they are done up right. :omg:

Sugarmaker

OTN,

Very nice job on the A100 restoration. Great Pictures! My grandsons machine (A-100) has been put to work hauling wood and racing around the property and churning up lots of mud. Mike has had a ball with it and I really like the little tractor. We added a straight pipe and that 10 Horse is really snorty! We added the lug tires too and also dropped a longer belt on to the mower pulley and it really has some speed:)

Regards,

Chris

norman

Great looking tractor..... :thumbs2:

madmack692

Great Job!

Quick question,

Where did you get the front and rear wheels?

(they look new and I need new front/rear wheels)

Thanks!

whfan74

Beautiful restore! :scratchead:

I would be very proud to have that in my shed. You do nice work! :hide:

JimD

WOW! :scratchead: