Ed Kennell

Honey - Do List

ebinmaine

Ed, that looks absolutely fantastic!

You folks are going to love that hardwood floor.

Most of the upper story of my Ranch is covered with knotty yellow pine flooring.

I love the look of it.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Ed, my hat's off to you for that journey, we were contemplating something similar this spring but other things came up, looks awesome, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS

We remolded a 80 year old house before we moved into it about 23 years ago....We put hard wood floors in the main floor...Red Oak T & G. We finished ours AFTER we installed it!

Your floor looks very nice!

• Like 2

squonk

When I first saw this thread, I thought Ed Dog was going rouge and giving his wife a list of things to do! :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

When I first saw this thread, I thought Ed Dog was going rouge and giving his wife a list of things to do! :occasion-xmas:

If he pulls that off.... He can give the rest of lessons

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ztnoo

Looks fabulous!

The next question: are you having fun yet?  umm.gif.632f7ccbcd92c7e24f3102df070e60ef.gif

rotfl.gif.4053e81e32059d29f4b85b4c945123b9.gif

• Haha 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Ed, that is a Herculean task!    I did the same thing about fifteen years ago at our Florida house.  I was replacing the vinyl and carpet with tile so I was able to do one room at a time.  Even then it nearly put me six feet under, can't even think of doing it now.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I've done a lot of ripping out layers of flooring to get to the sub floor.  It is always a major job.  That looks fantastic Ken.  :) 

Some years ago we ripped up a kitchen floor.  Under the underlayment they had put a layer of tar paper (usual for around here)...but under that was the real find. We found newspaper from the Elgin Courier News used as padding also.  The date on the News Paper...September 1941.  What an interesting insight to what had not happened yet.  :USA:  The paper was like brand new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SPINJIM

Now that you have all that experience, how about coming over and doing some of my flooring?  :ychain:   Nice job.  I admire your ambition.  :text-bravo:

My flooring days are over.   Last year I did the prep work for some flooring, and managed to tear up my knee, and had to have surgery.   The doctor bills were more than what it would have cost me to have someone else do the prep work.    Besides, I'd rather work on tractors or go fishing.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Now that you have all that experience, how about coming over and doing some of my flooring?  :ychain:   

Jim

Always willing to help a friend Jim.     But to be honest, you are pretty far down on my Do list.   :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell

That looks so good!! I wish I still had the knees and back to do that! Your wife must be happy!!! 

Randy

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Looks great Ed...that finish on the wood is absolutely beautiful

• Like 1

Pullstart

I did rustic maple in our bedroom this spring, can’t wait to keep the wood flowing through the house!  Carpet (mainly the padding) holds so much dirt and filth inside...  It was my first time doing hardwood floors, and the room took me two days to complete laying the wood.  As with most projects, the girls helped.  Their job was to feed me random length boards, and to make sure the stagger was as random as possible.

0C93AD80-7E20-4EC8-9BB9-8480416E7971.jpeg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Looks great @pullstart.      You are right on about the dirt collecting in the carpet and padding.   Easy to see and clean up with a "Swiffer" on the hardwood.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

It will be a lot easier on your Hvac system as well! Nice work!👍

WHX??

Looks nice Ed. You guys are spot on about carpet be dirt magnets. Smooth floors much easier to keep clean not to mention when fido has an "accident"

Looks like you got hydronic heat. Hope you had the presence of mid to clean those fin tubes  while you had the covers off.  Soft bristle paint brush & good shop vac work best.

How did the covers line up after flooring? Tool crib is right smooth floor let the convection process work better. You might be able to lower your water temp saving $$ on fuel.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Yeah, Mrs K pretty much follows me with the Swiffer.     I did brush the  heat pipe fins Jim...they were loaded with dust.     I didn't have to alter the end covers.   The new wood floor is the same height as the carpet and padding was,  so I have the same height opening at the bottom of the heater fronts.

• Like 1

WHX??
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

they were loaded with dust

Those baseboards are designed to put out 560 btu @ 180 degree hot water flowing through them. As they get dirty this drops off dramatically making one increase the water temp to decently heat meaning more $$ in home heating costs. The good news is back in the day these single story ranches were often over radiated. These baseboards were cheap in the day so installers often used way too much footage of it. As homeowners replaced windows, doors, weather seal, insulation etc. making the house more efficient  meaning you can cut the water temp back to say 160-170, a huge decrease in  fuel costs. Your front room appears to be an example of being over radiated.

• Like 2