Goldnboy

Cause of transmission failure

Goldnboy

For those who have repaired 8 speed transmissions what items are the source of failure? Forks? Cluster gear? Bearing?

Water is obviously enemy #1

Along with no oil as #2

doc724

My very limited experience is that needle bearings seem to be the weak points.  Seal failure happens first.  Fluid leaks out and dirt gets in.  Not a good combination.  Water incursion is almost always at the shift boot.  They do not last forever and most are rotted out after 15-20 years

• Like 3

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:  Axle needle bearings !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

The other major problem area with transmissions is the nut behind the steering wheel!    AKA the driver.        :ychain:       

Some people seem to want to speed shift these transmissions on the go and end up ruining the 3522 and 3523 gears. This is true of three speed and eight speeds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

Forks and cluster gear are never the problem.  Shifting on the fly is probably the one thing that ruins these transmissions (grinds the gears).  The major weakness is the hi/low shifter plate...it is thin and can be either bent or broke by shifting on the fly.  The other thing to think about is whether you have an 8 pinion of a 10 pinion differential in that 8 speed transmission.  You did not differentiate. :)  These guys that are talking about needle bearings are correct, but you are dealing with a transmission that has been around for 50 or 60 years...of course bearings are going to be worn and seals will be old and dry...especially if the horse has been setting.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Goldnboy

Thanks this will be helpful when evaluating a roller in the future for a parts machine.

The Tuul Crib
5 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

Thanks this will be helpful when evaluating a roller in the future for a parts machine.

Here's a pic of my dipstick out of my 312-8 that I just picked up. I called this  tractor my hundred dollar turd but it obviously was abused and sat out in the weather a lot. The dipstick was rusted out really bad so I wasn't sure  if any water got into the transmission. After a couple of diesel fuel fill ups  and drive arounds the trans seems to be ok. The old fluid  didn't have a lot of water in it. So  hopefully he's OK !

IMG_4657.JPG

• Sad 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• ebinmaine
      By ebinmaine
      A HUGE thank you to Tony @Docwheelhorse for settin' me up here.

The generosity of some of our members never ceases to amaze me.

This here is another 1974 C160, but with the rare Tecumseh HH/OH160 OHV engine. Made one year only.

It's rough. Very much in need of a full disassembly and restoration.

When it came here it was missing one tie rod and the other was broken off one end.
      Today I popped used tie rods on and Trina used her 867 to drag it from the drive to the shed.

The engine wouldn't move.
      Tin was near chock full of skeletal mouseseses and their house.
      Cleaned that out and the engine spins freely now.

So progress has been made.

It'll be a good long while before we get to this one but I just couldn't turn it down considering the rarity.

• Ralpho711
      By Ralpho711
      I have a 1976 C-120, 8 speed, that has had a bad rear axle key way for about 35 years.The plastic steel we put in to keep things together finally gave up the ghost last year. I tried some welding but that hasn't held up either. My question is will the rear axles from a C-81 8 speed fit in my transmission? According to the parts lists I found on this site, both trans have 1 1/8" axles and 8 pinion diffs, but the axle part numbers are different.  Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm brand new to the site and think its great!
    • Red144runner
      By Red144runner
      I mow 7 lawns on the side 3 are neighbors. One in is a good size and flat. The only pita is a swingset. I like using the tractor on it for several reasons, it does a beautiful job, it needs to be bagged and with I only need to empty twice, my proline 36” I empty 7-8 and it’s a good excuse to run it for 90 minutes. 

• tntatro
      By tntatro
      Hello, this is my first transmission rebuild. It was off a 1972 Raider 12 so I thought it had a limited slip differential and took it apart to see why both wheels were not grabbing. It turns out that it has the 8 pinion differential. There is a damaged bearing, I destroyed the plug for the detent passage and some of the gears have wear but it doesn't look bad to me.

My questions are:
      1 - If the other bearings are complete with no damage do I leave them or is there a way to test the amount of wear to indicate whether they should be replaced or not?

2 - Where do I get a new 1533 bearing, plug for detent hole, oil seals and gasket and how do I remove the bearing?

3 - The gear pictured was the gear with the most wear. Is that perfectly fine to use?

4 - I'm guessing that it is a 5091 transmission or a 5073 with the differential replaced. Is there a way to tell what it is for ordering proper parts or are parts going to be the same?

Thanks, Tim

• WheelHorseNut
      By WheelHorseNut
      Hey guys,
      I've started the restoration of my 1968 Raider 10.  I originally found that they didn't make a Raider 10 in 1968 but through discussion with the experts here, we determined that my tractor was a 1968 that was badged a Raider 10 with the 10 HP Tecumseh.
      Here's the starting point picture.
      It was in better shape a few years ago but it was a slight casualty to hurricane Sandy.  Nothing is rusted through, thankfully.  It's unfortunate that it happened and I never expected it to get wet where it was.  We were at least a 1/4 mile from the water -- probably more -- but, I came to work (where it was stored) the following day and we had a garbage dumpster from the business across the street and a boat dock in out parking lot...It was insane and very unexpected.
      Anyway, I've disassembled a bunch of it  and will e-tank the crap out of everything.