pfrederi

Getting a higher cut on an older deck

pfrederi

Been working with a older deck 5-1000 i believe  (no data plate.).  The max height cut I can get is about 2-3/4 inches.  Put a couple 1/2" boards under rear wheels to simulate going to larger wheels...raised the back of the deck but not the front.  Unlike newer decks there doesn't seem to be a leveling adjustment. Any thoughts on how to get it up to 3 or 3-1/4" cut???

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

daveoman1966

I have a pair of deck wheels...they are 2" wide x 8" dia with shoulder bolts and steel bearings.  Bolt threads are 1" or so.

These would probably solve the cut height issue and give you much more range...$32...  SHIPPED to USA zips

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

005.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966

peter lena

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/martin-wheel-6x1-3-8-plastic-deck-wheel-1-2-in-bushing-1-3-8-in-offset-hub?rfk=1 

I have these wheels on 3 decks, and they give me the high cutting height I want, they also stand up very well , and at 14 $ a pair, ordered from tractor supply I think it will help your problem. I do not have any older decks , but the added wheel height gives me a very good cutting height without a burn. I would also check your lift point hook up , maybe you can modify for more height, pete

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Unlike newer decks there doesn't seem to be a leveling adjustment. Any thoughts on how to get it up to 3 or 3-1/4" cut???

Paul, do you have the pin that rides on the curved center support channel?   The location of that pin should balance the front to rear height.     You may have to drill new holes to adjust the pin location to get the front up level.

pfrederi

Are you talking about the pin #47?  It is currently in the second hole as shown in parts diagram.  The long slot below was used on earlier model decks 5-1421 that used a long bent rod to adjust the height.  Guess WH used the same bracket assembly #38 on different decks..  Do you think if I moved the pin to the top hole that would help??

deck.JPG

Ed Kennell

Yep, #47 pin should control the front height.   Try a different hole to see if it makes a difference.    You may have to drill new holes or modify the pin support bracket to get the height you want.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Dug out a pair of 7 inch wheel for the deck put them on but as i anticipated it just raised the back of the deck so there was way to much difference between blade height at front and back.  I know you want a little for best cut but this was almost 1/2". 

Using Ed's suggestion moved the rod #47  to the top hole in the axle assembly...success!! little over 3" now and just a shade lower in front. 

Thank you all

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

:woohoo:     Thanks for the update Paul.    

Sarge

That's great info to know - there are times it's beneficial not to cut the grass so short, mine is loaded with water grass now from doing just that.

My question is this - how well does the deck perform at 3", does it throw more clippings forward towards the engine, or about the same as always? The skirt I added to my 48" made a big difference, but in the top height notch, it still wants to paint that engine intake cooling screen with clippings, which I really hate on a K341 as they run hot enough as it is.

Sarge

pfrederi

My grass is really too wet to mow right now  The little I did didn't throw clippings but I believe that was due to the wetness.   At the rate we are going with rain I may not be able to answer Sarge's question until next year....

Ed Kennell

Same here Paul.    The grass looks like April instead of August.   I'm mowing 2X/ week …I usually mow every two to three weeks in August.

We got "seat time".  :banana-dance:

• Like 1

pfrederi

I tried to mow a bit but the water flying off the front tires got my feet wet.....May be time for the sickle bar when it finally dries out.  Still have pools of water in the yard....

• Like 1

Sarge

We're about to get slammed with a major storm here, otherwise, it's been extremely dry. The issue this year is the water grass - it's gotten way out of control on most properties locally and that stuff is a pain to cut correctly as it likes to hold moisture (hence, the name) and plug up almost any deck design/brand. I need to get busy and make some baffles for my 48" - the left rear corner loves to plug up quickly no matter what the conditions are at the time. The other problem has been how the discharge side works - these 48" models love to throw the grass into the height gauge wheel and bar, then plug up the discharge area. Once it does that, the stuff just comes out in globs...

Sarge

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I've been using the RD decks and mowing every 4-5 days.  So far I have been able to get good distribution with no clean up needed.

The decks are all going to need a good cleaning after mowing season.

Tankman

Deck off every winter. Clean ‘n paint if needed.

Wettest late summer I can think of. Still mow but try for sunny, dry days. Lately rain it seems every other day.