FatJackDurham

310 Fuel tanks and lines

FatJackDurham

So, now that I have fixed the starter, and the ignition circuit, I am on to the fuel deliver system to see why the tractor doesn't fire. I started it with starter fluid, but it doesn't run after.

When I first got a 416-8, I paid a small engine shop to tune and clean the Onan engine and carb. They also replaced the fuel line as well as the shut off valve. So that got me wondering.

Do you ever have trouble with that valve getting clogged  or the outlet in the tank getting clogged? Do you ever get crud build up inside the lines?

It looks like the shut off valve is directly attached to the tank, so hopefully there won't be an issue with it. I just wanted to get some info from your experience troubleshooting fuel deliver.

I can definitely rebuild the carb, but I am waiting to make sure I have fuel delivery first to see if seafoam can make a rebuild unnecessary.

Also, what about the fuel pump on Kohler cast iron series? Are they prone to problems? 

ebinmaine

Jack, one of the big problems with ethanol in gasoline is that it eats rubber fuel lines from the inside out and the stuff that you see in the bottom of the carburetor Bowl can often be small chunks of rubber from when it is being pushed out and settling in the bowl.

There are quite a few of us, myself included, that do not use any old rubber fuel line at all. Always always always replace the entire rubber line all the way from the tank to the engine.

I'm looking at a tractor next week that was tuned up only 2 years ago and is now having problems again.

Personally, I do not replace any fuel lines with rubber anymore at all. I use either clear yellow or clear blue. Snowmobile stuff. I find it to be much more Hardy.

The shut-off valve will have the same problem. Any small areas, Corners, pockets, that stuff will collect.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

JAinVA

There is a screen in the fuel shut off valve.It is up inside the tank. With the tank empty and the filler cap off you can see it.The easiest way to check for stoppage is to disconnect the line from the fuel pump,with the fuel shut off to start.Put the free end in a bucket and turn on the fuel valve.If there is good flow then you know the problem is somewhere else.There is no good reason to run ethanol fuel in your engines at all,unless that's all you can get.

FatJackDurham

I have never not run ethanol and usually never had significant problems, but then, I could have not known the source. For instance, the primer bulb on both my lawn mower and chainsaw is not as good as it used to be. So if ethanol is dissolving it, that would explain it.

I will not even try to save the hose, then, I'll replace that and the filter straight through. Thanks for the tip about the valve screen. Can the valve be removed from the tank or is it permanent?

JAinVA

The valve can be replaced.It is pushed into a rubber grommet. It has little barb at the inner end so that the valve stays in place.I usually replace the valve on any new machine I get.When I do I try to remove and flush the tank.You never know what has been dumped into the tank before you got it.Here in my part of the state ethanol free fuel has only been available for the last couple years.It cost considerably more than the crappy gas but it is worth it my opinion.

Edited by JAinVA

FatJackDurham

Thanks. The fuel flow turned out fine once I opened the breather cap. Fuel pump squirts lots of go-juice....

• Like 3