Daron1965

What would you buy to keep forever?

Daron1965

Being new to the wheel horse addiction, (LOL) I am wondering what would be a good older model to buy for keeping forever? I am like a 52 year old little kid when it comes to these tractors. I am always looking and checking for another. I am looking for an older one, to use as a parade tractor, maybe pull an occasional yard trailer.  So, if you had, lets say $800 to $1000 to spend, what and why would you get it. I plan on keeping it and giving to my step son when he has some children.  

Thank you, I always appreciate the guidance from everyone.

• Like 1

953 nut

This is a very subjective decision. Obviously my choice would be a 953, but that may not be your cup of tea. A lawn Ranger would be a good choice when grandchildren come along. They are much safer than a RJ and just about as cute.

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

For little ones I agree with @953 nut...A Lawn Ranger...

But I am partial to the Black Hoods myself...My One and only C-105 is my favorite...

:twocents-02cents:

Good luck!

• Like 1

ericj

as far as little kids driving, I like a long stick hydro, which would be any of them up to about 1980 when they went to the eaton trans, but even then the stick is between your legs and with in easy reach of little arms. With the hydro's the little legs don't have to reach the petals to control the motion of the tractor, just pull back on the stick. All of my kids learned on a C120 AUTO 

as far as a keeper for life, that's a tough one not sure a could choose just one :hide:

eric j

• Like 1

Daron1965

I agree, the just one is what I am finding to be impossible...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: I don't know...  

everybody starts with just one. 

• Like 2

WHX??

For little tykes and occasional tub duty a LR ....make mine a '67 like @dclarke's. :)

• Like 1

kick

As a little kid in the late 70’s i remember my grandparents cruising  me around on their C120. By the time I was old enough to go solo in the 80’s they purchased a 312-8.  I had fun cutting grass and maintaining that tractor for years.  So any 300-400 series Kohler powered combinations would be my choice.   

Edited by kick

rjg854

I can't give any specific reason, but, I happen to be drawn to the styling of the round hoods and the square hoods. (60's models)  Another big plus is their simplicity in design.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Electric start round hood/square hood to look at  & putter with. To use for work, C-160 Auto. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, squonk said:

Electric start round hood/square hood to look at  & putter with. To use for work, C-160 ****

:text-yeahthat:

But I prefer the 8 speeds.

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I can't give any specific reason, but, I happen to be drawn to the styling of the round hoods and the square hoods. (60's models)  Another big plus is their simplicity in design.

3 hours ago, squonk said:

Electric start round hood/square hood to look at  & putter with. To use for work, C-160 Auto. 

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:text-yeahthat:

But I prefer the 8 speeds.

I prefer round hoods(though I like the square hoods probably second, unless I found a square hood with round fenders) with a recoil and an 8 speed, so I put all them parts together and got Putt Putt.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

As long as the ID tag says Wheel Horse, then it's worth keeping forever! :ROTF:

In all seriousness, I love the lawn rangers as mentioned above and would like to have one someday, but I have an addiction to early short frame square hoods such as the 855, 856 & 857. You just can't beat them in my opinion. Now an 875 or a 876 would be good for small children being that it is hydrostatic. I see quite a few young kids at the big show riding around on tractors like that. Plus one of those tractors would be a great worker too! 

• Like 1

Uncle Buck
15 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Yup, those are the ones I like the very most round hoods, then the square hoods through the 1960's though I have a B-100 1976 that is later that I favor greatly for its 8 speed transmission.

Uncle Buck
3 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

As long as the ID tag says Wheel Horse, then it's worth keeping forever! :ROTF:

In all seriousness, I love the lawn rangers as mentioned above and would like to have one someday, but I have an addiction to early short frame square hoods such as the 855, 856 & 857. You just can't beat them in my opinion. Now an 875 or a 876 would be good for small children being that it is hydrostatic. I see quite a few young kids at the big show riding around on tractors like that. Plus one of those tractors would be a great worker too! 

Plus one for the 857. I have one for snow duty that I prize greatly! Has a lot of grunt when needed for such a small engine.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm going to look at it from a parts available angle.  While the old RJ's starting from 1957 to 1959 are probably the most expensive and collectable, parts are becoming hard to find and can command top dollar.  I would add the suburbans to this list to stay away from for what you are looking to do.  They all have the mid engine mount which can be very dangerous.  Finding parts for those old Clinten, Kohler and Briggs engines 2.5 to 3.5 and 4 hsp is hard already...can't imagine what will be there when your kid grows up. 

With all that said, if it was me, it would be the 702 round hood.  They are still out there and in large numbers.  In my opinion, it is the best Wheel Horse they came out with at the time.  It has the 2 piece transmission (parts available)...engine mounted in the front of the frame (for stability)...round hood (like the RJ's above)...a 7 hsp Kohler that still has cheap engine parts on the net.  If you ask me, the 1962 Wheel Horses are going to be the next, best investment.  They are rugged, easy to work on, have the look of the older horses, and they have the guts to do ground engaging chores.  The other 2 horses for this year used Tecumseh's...great engines, but hard to find parts for already.  Stick with Kohler, and stick with "K" series...one piston engines.

2008_0723roundhood70219620005.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

it would be the 702 round hood.

Good choice Dino...you can also put bug eye headlights on them, groovy pin striping, cut the hood for oversized muffs,, trailer style hubs for a FEL, incorrect steering wheels, big a$$ reflectors so you don't get clobbered on Liberty St.  AND a HY-2 for running the FEL! :ychain::occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Digger 66
21 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

I am like a 52 year old little kid when it comes to these tractors.

Didn't know I had a twin :think:

21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

This is a very subjective decision.

X-2 ^^^ 

Check out some pics around here .

Get a hold of whatever trips your trigger and the good folks of Red Square will surely help with the makeover .

^^^ It's just the nature of this place ^^^ 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Daron1965
2 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Didn't know I had a twin :think:

LOL....:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

roadapples

I'll take a C160. My legs are too long for a short frame tractor...

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Does it count if I bought a brand new 520H 20 years ago and don't ever see myself getting rid of it in my lifetime running or not 🤔, Jeff.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
On 8/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, Daron1965 said:

plan on keeping it and giving to my step son when he has some children.  

8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Does it count if I bought a brand new 520H 20 years ago and don't ever see myself getting rid of it in my lifetime running or not 🤔, Jeff.

Definitely counts but you need to keep it running unless your next of kin wants a lawn ornament...

:ychain:

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
23 minutes ago, cruisnblue48 said:

My dad bought this 1962 Wheel Horse new when I was 6 years old. My dad sold it to a neighbor about 1980. I did not see it for 30 years after that until my Uncle found it in 2011. My Uncle got it free from the son of the guy who bought it from my dad and he gave it back to me for free

In my opinion you are the winner of the best :wh: ownership story I have ever heard!

image.jpeg.00d9539f1226272c454c004fb8e948ff.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

RandyLittrell

I feel like I have really lucked out in the tractors I have found. 1277 with a loader, c-120, 401 suburban and a GT-14. Of those, I think the 1277 is my favorite right now and I wanna pull the loader off and restore it. Man those long hood lines and woodgrain decals really do it for me. 

Randy

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1