cleat

Onan carbs from china.

cleat

I know that I am going to stir a hornet nest here but has anyone tried one of these China / Hong Kong carbs.

They are on ebay under onan carb.

I don't need one myself as I have spare OEM ones but just wondering how they work.

Cleat

Edited by cleat

Moparfanforever

I bought the cheapest carb I could find on EBay for a Magnum Kohler and I could not get it to idle very well for some reason. I took the idle mixture screw out of it to see if I could figure it out and dropped it into that part of the shop where parts are never seen again. The carb ran fine except for the idle.

I have read alot of people having good luck with them.

Tach-a-matic

10 years ago this question would have resulted in a firestorm of "hell no's"

But these Chinese carbs and the engines they are bolted to (Lifan's, Loncin's, etc) have been holding up much better than expected. 

And in most cases they run better than the Briggs and Tecumseh's they replaced.  And for a lot less $$$

So a lot of that fear is gone.  

$135 vs $270?

you bet

posifour11

I've bought a couple for other small engines and it turned out ok. Out of probably five, I've gotten one bad one. The sad commentary is that almost all of our engine stuff is made out of this country anyway. 

cleat

Onan sourced at least the Carb, coil, and (I think) starter from Japan.

I just put a Chinese coil on my latest 520 and it fired right up.

$40.00 including shipping straight from China and it arrived in about a week (faster than expected).

I hate giving jobs away but I think in the case of our old Wheel Horses, not much is made here any more.

cleat

There are cheap Chinese carb kits available as well.

I may order one of those and see.

The Tuul Crib

I bought one from my K1 81 and the gas line fitting that went down to the fuel pump seemed to be a metric size so I could not use or would have to get new configuration.

pfrederi

I do not have any onans but have bought Chicom carbs for Kohlers and Techies.  They work...but be sure to check the float setting they can be willdly off....

cleat

I think that you hit the problem with a lot of chinese products is not the engineering that went into them but the assembly.

I own a Chinese tractor that I bought new.

30HP 4 wheel drive with cab and loader. Best running engine I have ever owned.

But when I first got it there were loose bolts everywhere, oil leaks, clutch was not adjusted properly etc.

So I went through the entire machine and it has been trouble free ever since.

That tells me the engineering was fine but the assembly line was poorly done (likely rushed).

I was still happy in that the tractor cost around 1/3 of what a Kubota  or John deer would have (11,000 Canadian including a new 6 foot finishing mower).

5b74d2c9aa2a5_Largerwheelsinstalled5.jpg.900200572ec57f91886f3d84b1737a80.jpg

Cleat

• Excellent 1