SIUC3

Transmission I believe for 856 wheelhorse

I have what I believe is a Wheelhorse transmission from a 1964 -1966.  Is this worth selling via shipping?  I'm not sure on the value or desire for these parts, as I don't know if it is worth it to post online or just sell local, as I imagine that the shipping cost will be quite high because of its weight.  What do you all think?

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Shipping can be costly, but if the tranny is in decent condition, you could get between $75 to $150 for it locally. Hubs alone bring anywhere from $35.00 to $65.00 each on eBay.

I've shipped a few transmissions through Fastenal from around Chicago to the east coast...it runs around $75.

That particular transmission is probably a #5053.  It is considered a 3 speed uni-drive and will bolt right on most of the tractors from 1961 to 1969 with little or no modifications.  Bob's estimate on the top end is high just looking at it...  $25 - $75 as is.  Bob did say "decent condition"...then you might push the $100 - $150.  It would cost somebody up to $200 to replace "all" of the bearings and seals.  The issue for any buyer is maybe putting as much as $300 into a $300 Wheel Horse.  I happen to have 2 of those transmissions sitting in my garage right now that I would ask $150 each for...the difference...mine have been opened up, cleaned out with bad bearings and all of the seals replaced.  They look like and are like new.  :think:

702 transmission 036.jpg

702 transmission 037.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So short story i should just keep it in case one of mine decide to go out or use it as parts!

Edited by SIUC3
  • Like 1

Well now...that puts a different light on what is going on.  If you have some horses that use the same transmission, I would open it, clean it out...replace any bad bearings and all of the seals...sell the hubs if you do not need them...and, depending on what you find inside, sell it for that $150 or put it on the shelf and save it. 

If I was going to open it and fix and replace bearings and seals...I would take a lot of pictures, keep receipts and know what I was selling and then know what it is worth.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1