WHwest8597

Frame capability

WHwest8597

I have 1997 314-8 frame that is cracked in the back plate.  I'm trying to decided to repair the plate or just replace the whole frame.  I have a 417-8 frame and 416H frame.

farmer

I’d say if it’s just a crack anyone who is competent with a welder should be able to  make the repair, if it is then plated it will be better than original. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

JAinVA

The other two frames you have are a direct replacement for the cracked one if you decide to swap it out.

pacer

Yabut, changing a frame is pretty labor intensive. As farmer sez a competent welder can sew up the cracks and then add a 3/16/1/4" plate to the original and youre ready to go

daveoman1966

Welding can make the metal brittle, and subject to future cracking.  Here is a way to repair AND reinforce the corners to preclude cracking. 

Use 2" x 1/4" (or 5/16)  angle iron about 6" long.  When bolting up, use Nuylok nuts. 

You'll need 4 bolts 3/8"--1/2" or so longer than original 4 bolts holding the end plate to the trans case ...but not too long.

FR FIX (5).jpg

FR FIX (9).jpg

fx 024.JPG

fx 022.JPG

fx 012.JPG

fx 011.JPG

fx 001.JPG

017.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Excellent 2

JAinVA
1 hour ago, pacer said:

Yabut, changing a frame is pretty labor intensive. As farmer sez a competent welder can sew up the cracks and then add a 3/16/1/4" plate to the original and youre ready to go

I doubt you are going to get anyone to repair the cracked area with the transaxle .engine or front axle attached.It looks like the frame repair being shown by daveoman1966 is being performed on a bare frame.

Edited by JAinVA

Lee1977

It all depends on what your going to use the tractor for. If just mowing welding the crack would be fine. If using ground engaging equipment a solid 1/4" plate welded in place with longer transmission bolts to allow for the thickness difference. My frame was not cracked but I added some reinforce to keep from cracking it.

SAM_0484.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966
38 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

I doubt you are going to get anyone to repair the cracked area with the transaxle .engine or front axle attached.It looks like the frame repair being shown by daveoman1966 is being performed on a bare frame.

YES...  I used a bare frame as a DEMO of what to do...how to prefab the angle iron by size and shape.  It is easy enough to install this onto

because, the tractor MAY drop if you take out all four mounting bolts at the same time.  

daveoman1966

YES...  I used a bare frame as a DEMO of what to do...how to prefab the angle iron by size and shape.  I can't lay on my back to get the pics...I'm not 27 anymore....lol.   It is easy enough to install this onto a working tractor...just work on and complete one side at a time. 

because, the tractor MAY drop if you take out all four mounting bolts at the same time.

• Like 3

JAinVA

I'm not 27 or even double that anymore so I get it! You have a good idea for a repair that doesn't require welding.If someone wants to have one welded,a lot of stuff will have to be removed to do it right.

Edited by JAinVA