Pullstart

Fer da birds.

Pullstart

I’m not normally a bird watcher, but I saw this hawk the other day on the way home from the campground.  Went back for a closer view, I wasn’t sure if it was a hawk or owl the first time.  Funny, they don’t mind steady traffic speeds, but don’t dare slow down and get close for a picture!

AB57DA0D-1B7D-4C59-912A-B2E530362587.jpeg

CDB1CAD2-DB29-4540-AD7D-5A1A7BB101FB.jpeg

6AEFA3E7-928E-47C0-BC59-B06EDF70066F.jpeg

188C5F7D-8FDB-4678-90BB-D2DBD1CEAA62.jpeg

28D01F16-E884-4E40-B969-EDBB159B7873.jpeg

8B5B791B-4023-4CD6-982A-933E197FEB09.jpeg

80C17B4C-86EB-4C06-B53D-C6967E7AA477.jpeg

CasualObserver

Looks like a hawk to me. See them frequently around my area.

I was watching a ski-show in northern WI this summer and saw this guy come gliding across the lake and perch up high for the show. Stayed for probably 20 min of the show, then took off again. Getting to be more and more common up here in the northern midwest. The national eagle center is in Wabasha, Minnsota if you ever get the chance.... and you can grab lunch at Slippery's just down the street where they always have Grumpy Old Men playing! :D 

20180627_195319.jpg

• Like 2

SPINJIM

We have a hawk and a falcon in our area.   They help control the squirrels, mice, and rabbits.   We would be overrun with vermin if we didn't have the hawks.   We also see some Bald Eagles, and sometimes a Philadelphia Eagle in the fall.   :ROTF:

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

My wife and I saw a bald eagle maybe a month or two ago fly over us at the house... no pics of that though!  There was one nested along the roadside a year or two ago, they made the area a preserve / no parking, then it moved! Like it wanted to be viewed...

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

Any thoughts on the species of the hawk you took pictures of? Does not look familiar to us in the Northeast...

I have a river in the bottom of the valley about a mile away and we live halfway up the side of a mountain so we have all kinds of cool wildlife.

We have Cooper's Hawks, red-shouldered Hawks, barred owls, great horned owls, all nesting very near or even on my property somewhere.

I've been watching birds for .... probably 35 years?

Thanks for the pics!

Pullstart

I think it’s a red tail, they are common along with marsh hawks.