Sign in to follow this  
FatJackDurham

310-8 no spark

FatJackDurham

I got the starter installed and the motor cranked fine, but wouldn’t start. I believe e there is no spark but I probably checked wrong. I pulled the plug wire off and held it over the plug looking (or feeling as sometimes happens) for a spark but nothing.

the engine is a K241 10 hp, with what seems to be battery ignition, 21-10K802 1986

i have a few questions about a few thing:

where are the points? I’ve never in my life actually adjusted points believe it or not. The manual doesn’t have a procedure so it must be something everyone knows. Except me.

how do I test resistance in the secondary coil? The demystify has three coil examples but none make sense to me: there aren’t two plug wire holes, the magnet isn’t involved since it’s battery, and I don’t know what “the core” is. The engine block?

since it has points, there must be a physical connection to the crank for timing. I know in cars you turn the distributor to adjust timing. How do you do timing on this engine?

if you guys could explain some of this, I’ll read it and start testing tomorrow.

Edited by FatJackDurham

FatJackDurham

I think I found what I need from YouTube. We’ll see.

FatJackDurham

K. Coil tested fine, condenser had resistance, points.... well okay. Filed the points flat, gapped, spark achieved. But no fire. Starter fluid makes it go, so next up will be fuel tank, lines and filter, and check the pump squirts. After that, a carb cleaning.