ccrawfor8645

GT550

ccrawfor8645

I currently own a Toro Wheel Horse GT550 tractor and love it.  We bought it with a front end loader and a 60 inch mower deck.  It is a pain taking off the front end loader and putting on the 60 inch mower deck.  We used to have a 520H until its second motor block cracked.  I ended up selling the 520H for parts and all of its accessories - snowblower, snow blade, 48 inch mower deck. 

I do a lot of gardening and love the GT550.  Currently I have the front end loader on it with the clevis hitch in the back.  My neighbor rigged up a single plow from our 198x Troy Bilt rototiller.  I jut took off the bucket and left the subframe on.  The clevis hitch works fine.  I also plowed the garden with a bigger single blade plow.  I would really like to find another GT550 tractor to use for just mowing the grass with our 60 inch mower deck so I don't have to switch between the front end loader and the mower deck.  I would like to then find a grass bagger for the 60 inch mower deck.  I have an old harrow that I can use for cultivating but have to switch out the clevis hitch for an old hitch that the harrow slides into.  I would like to find a single blade plow for creating garden rows and a cultivator for the GT550. 

I am currently having a problem though with the fitted single blade plow to make rows as it does not go down deep enough into the ground.  If I make the clevis hitch cable go any lower the plow will drag onto the ground.  I may not have the clevis hitch cable in the right place under the tractor.

• Like 1

Cee245

Do you have any pictures of your GT550? I'm not familiar with the model.

Is it a New Holland?

Cory

WHX??

Only made for two years Cory, '06 & '07 replaced the 522xi. No idea why it is not on the master list? Might have been labeled Toro only?? Still a beast with a 22hp Kohler under the hood.

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/2/6/267-toro-gt550.html

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cee245

Thanks @WHX20

Never knew they existed! Learn something new every day.  Especially here!

Cory 

• Like 1

wfrpalm
1 hour ago, Cee245 said:

Thanks @WHX20

Never knew they existed! Learn something new every day.  Especially here!

Cory 

That sure is true. This is a great place.

• Like 2

ccrawfor8645

It has been some time since I posted this..  My GT550 is still going strong.

My 520-H blew its 2nd engine.  Sold tractor for parts.  Sold attachments also.

i use the bucket quite a lot and plow.  i have my dad's old harrow that uses a different clevis hitch.  Neighbor built an attachment so it could hook up to the lift cable. 

it is getting harder to take off the front bucket loader and subframe and then to put on the 60 inch mower deck.  i can do it still but takes me longer. 

We use the front bucket loader a lot especially during summer.  i hate to take off bucket, put on mower deck, then put back on bucket. 

i really need a second tractor.

For what i am being told, any 5xi series Toro Wheel Horse can use my 60 inch mower deck.

i am looking for used 522XI or GT550 used tractor in good running condition.  I live in PA. 

• Like 1

8ntruck

Might try putting an add in the wanted section do the forum.

Pullstart

Ya learn something new every day!  I haven’t heard of a GT550 before.  Nifty.  Best of luck looking for another GT/Xi machine for your implements!  With that heavy front end loader, it might be wise to check out that front axle pin sometime soon.

ranger
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Ya learn something new every day!  I haven’t heard of a GT550 before.  Nifty.  Best of luck looking for another GT/Xi machine for your implements!  With that heavy front end loader, it might be wise to check out that front axle pin sometime soon.

Gt550. Wasn’t that a  three cylinder two stroke from the 70s, made by Suzuki, known as  the “Indy” on your side of the pond?🏍🏍🏍🤔