Phil Burley

belt size

Phil Burley

can any one please tell me the length  of a drive belt  for a  4 speed Wheel horse , model  1-0394 . easily available in USA  but tricky here in UK without knowing the length

regards Phil

pfrederi

5/8" x 81.95"

• Like 2

Phil Burley

hello thanks , so  its an A section x 82 inch  . I will order one off ebay

regards Phil

gwest_ca

A 5/8" wide belt is a "B" section belt.

And watch the length. A true B-82 is 85" long and a true B-79 is 82" long.

You will also find B-82's that are 82" long.

Garry

Phil Burley

oh , so the cracked  A section one that was on mine is wrong then , the pulleys   looked a but narrow  for a B section .I will look for one on ebay

thanks again  , Regards Phil UK  PS I had a bit of a trundle round till the belt snapped , care of a Briggs and Stratton  engine  just to rest the box , some problems there , it doesn't want to go into top gear  !

953 nut

The 5L-820 is 5/8" wide and 82" long (same as the B-79). Here in the states Tractor Supply has Kevlar jacketed belts that work exceptionally well. most will have both the B-XX and 5L-XXX sizes listed on the sleeve.

Phil Burley

Hello .,thanks for the information , at present  we are using a non standard engine , but  we cant seem to get enough slack in the belt when de clutching  to stop the gear box pulley  turning , which makes getting into gear difficult . When using the correct parts , will the gear box input shaft stop when the belt slackens .  or is it our gear box problem , I know we still have a problem there because we cant get top gear at all , still too much  end play in the shaft .

regards Phil in the UK

pfrederi

Do you have the belt guard installed???  Also many WHs had wire guards mounted on the engine to keep the drive belt in eh correct position when clutch was depressed.

Phil Burley

hello,. do you mean that metal plate over the top of the idler pulley ?  I put that back on in maybe a different position than the original . I will try moving it round a bit tomorrow and see if that makes any difference

regards Phil in UK

pfrederi

Actually I meant the belt guard that covers the whole side of the tractor.  It must be on for the the system to work Also there are tabs at the front end of it that need to be bent very close to the belt.  The bracket you mentioned could also be an issue make sure it isn't dragging on eh belt when clutch is depressed.

• Like 1