DerekMorrissey

502 restoration

DerekMorrissey
26 minutes ago, formariz said:

As far as I can determine from my literature here, a letter or number suffix on a Lauson name plate from that era ,designates a variation of the same engine. In this case that letter would designate the carburetor engine was originally supplied with. A is for Walbro, C is for Carter. A more unusual one usually not supplied with H55s is S for Marvel Schleber. Your engine may not necessarily be original to that tractor although it is the correct one.

Thanks that's good to know

formariz

Keep that tag with it. That is a rather rare engine to begin with, but you may even have one even rarer than most. At the time that engine was manufactured, many changes were being made by Tecumseh who bought the Lauson company in 1956. They started basically dismantling Lauson and incorporating it into their own company utilizing what was proven to work. The name tag deciphering for that particular period is a bit ambiguous since that was also being changed to reflect Tecumseh's line. Yours is the first H55 I see with the suffix A. Looks like more research is needed.

• Like 2

Jennifer
On 2/15/2019 at 11:39 AM, formariz said:

Keep that tag with it. That is a rather rare engine to begin with, but you may even have one even rarer than most. At the time that engine was manufactured, many changes were being made by Tecumseh who bought the Lauson company in 1956. They started basically dismantling Lauson and incorporating it into their own company utilizing what was proven to work. The name tag deciphering for that particular period is a bit ambiguous since that was also being changed to reflect Tecumseh's line. Yours is the first H55 I see with the suffix A. Looks like more research is needed.

I to have the H55A. That’s the engine that I referred to being in the shop.

B7F52B00-8DEB-49AF-B046-32E3724730F5.png

• Like 1

Wheelhorse Wes
On 8/14/2018 at 10:55 AM, RandyLittrell said:

You have to remember, most people that "restore" things take them apart and paint them and call it restored. A true restoration means taking it to the condition it was when it left the assemble line or the dealership. Most "restorations" are far nicer than when it was new! 

The person you bought it from probably thought he was doing just that. 

Randy

Amen to that....leaving a tractor assembled and spraying paint all over is NOT a restoration....every spec of paint every nut  n bolt comes off to be a true restoration. You do something right the first time! 

• Like 2

71_Bronco
On 2/15/2019 at 11:08 AM, DerekMorrissey said:

So on my tractor the owner had a 32' rotary motor [parts number 3262] and I'm trying to get these bevel gears off and cant for the life of me, anyone know how to get these off or could steer me in the right direction?

20190215_110506.jpg

I had to remove one from my rotary mower not too long ago. According to my parts diagram (slightly different model than yours), that gear is keyed onto the shaft. I used a 3-jaw puller and slowly pulled it off, making sure it had lots of PB Blaster (penetrating oil) on it. It slid off slowly, using a standard wrench, but didnt fight. Was just a tight press fit, and luckily wasnt fused to the shaft. Didnt need to break out the impact.

To get it back on, I lined up the key, and slowly tapped it on using a socket to fit around the shaft.

71_Bronco

So on my tractor the owner had a 32' rotary motor [parts number 3262] and I'm trying to get these bevel gears off and cant for the life of me, anyone know how to get these off or could steer me in the right direction?

20190215_110506.jpg

I had to remove one from my rotary mower not too long ago. According to my parts diagram (slightly different model than yours), that gear is keyed onto the shaft. I used a 3-jaw puller and slowly pulled it off, making sure it had lots of PB Blaster (penetrating oil) on it. It slid off slowly, using a standard wrench, but didnt fight. Was just a tight press fit, and luckily wasnt fused to the shaft. Didnt need to break out the impact.

To get it back on, I lined up the key, and slowly tapped it on using a socket to fit around the shaft.

71_Bronco

20190215_110506.jpg

71_Bronco

20190215_110506.jpg

• Like 1

DerekMorrissey

Hi again, still making progress on my 502 restoration and other things, getting ready to start the sandblasting and painting process so I figured I'd ask some questions about the painting process. First off were the front wheel bearing caps painted factory? And where the exhausts painted anything from factory? If not I was planning of finding a high temp rated white/almond color to add a little bit of a personal design touch. And also to make more questions easier to answer did they have factory paint sheets to show them what to paint what color?

Pullstart

Hey Derek,

I don’t know the answer to your questions, but I’d love to see pictures of your 502!  They happen to be my favorite.

625E834A-E448-480F-8C7F-779F4E04CB30.jpeg

0F99114D-A329-4D6D-893D-46C00E5BB0EA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz
On 12/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, DerekMorrissey said:

Hi again, still making progress on my 502 restoration and other things, getting ready to start the sandblasting and painting process so I figured I'd ask some questions about the painting process. First off were the front wheel bearing caps painted factory? And where the exhausts painted anything from factory? If not I was planning of finding a high temp rated white/almond color to add a little bit of a personal design touch. And also to make more questions easier to answer did they have factory paint sheets to show them what to paint what color?

I have a 653 which is entirely all original and using that for reference, the wheel bearing caps were not painted. Also exhaust was not painted at all from factory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DerekMorrissey
On 12/27/2019 at 10:34 AM, pullstart said:

Hey Derek,

I don’t know the answer to your questions, but I’d love to see pictures of your 502!  They happen to be my favorite.

625E834A-E448-480F-8C7F-779F4E04CB30.jpeg

0F99114D-A329-4D6D-893D-46C00E5BB0EA.jpeg

Well unfortunately the tractor is all torn apart right now as I'm doing a full frame off Restoration, I do have some pre Restoration pictures though that I'd be happy to share.

IMG_-o23ido.jpg

rjg854

That needs restored :eek:

Can't wait to see the end results then.

Pullstart

Yeah, that was mighty fine looking to begin with.  I like that seat, is it just s cover over a steel pan?

DerekMorrissey
On 1/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, pullstart said:

Yeah, that was mighty fine looking to begin with.  I like that seat, is it just s cover over a steel pan?

No, I cant quite figure out what it is, because it has a matching backrest and the seat has a plastic bottom to it, my original bill of sales has no record of it and neither does the original owners service record. And I'm only the second owner of this tractor and was never able to talk to the original owner so most of the info unfortunately went along with him.

• Like 1

DerekMorrissey

I'm at the stage to begin to buy paint, I was wondering how much paint everyone would recommend and what y'all have found to be the best way of applying it. I've looked through the paint codes and I believe I'm going to go with the PPG codes. Just wanted to know if anyone has any input.

DerekMorrissey

Just started to prime some peices of my 502! Turning out great 

20200708_112242.jpg

20200708_120645.jpg

• Like 1

Jennifer

We just picked up our 552 not a 502 but close!!  We will start fixing up! Hubby snapped a picture of the youngest and me resting as we took driving shifts!  Drove to PA leaving home @8:30pm the 5th and returning on the 7th @8:15am.  Our anniversary!  So we are talking this will be our anniversary tractor! Hubby complained about the tractor but he was really tired... He is ok now!!  😉

28EECA23-1038-4BFA-B8F3-53061DB4B27D.jpeg

5A71C544-8BC5-45B6-96DB-F193D8AF93B0.jpeg

0970C162-CC4A-44D1-B735-6EC78CD083A3.jpeg

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Nice tractor @Jennifer!

DerekMorrissey

Wanted to update yall on the progress of my 502, its coming along great, the color is going down perfect and im really liking the way the tractor is turning out, and I want to thank everyone for the help, comments, and compliments along the way.

20210228_162236.jpg