Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Got the rear Woods mower hooked up

bo dawg

I have to say that I have never had a 3 point on a tractor before or any attachment for one. This seems pretty cool, but diffidently has to be an easier way to hook it up off the floor. The hard part was hooking up the Lt and Rt hitch pins. I unhooked the sway chains to spread the two lower point arms but still had to slide the mower into them, which is heavy with my bad back! Is there something I'm missing to make this easier? I'm learning this morning how to adjust mower to tractor to use it. I greased everything up I could that moves and turns.

Also I don't have the check chains, so how important are they? and how long should they be if I make some up?

D-160 (4).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pacer

Yep, hooking up a 3 point can be stressful especially when tucked in as close as your mower. There IS a solution --- IF you can locate one for the cat 0 hitch, they are a bit pricey but if you have to connect often would be great, they range in price from $100ish  ..... to way expensive.

Quick Hitch

image.png.9e07bde7c2264a5047b2dd03e2dabdba.png

• Like 2

Skipper

Sway chains should not be so short that you cant just hoop up with them on. But tight enough that the arms cant touch the tires with a good margin. I have em set at 2 inches wider than the arms needs to go on each side to hook up. Total 4 inches wider than the hook up width.

I usually just lovers the arms to the right hight, and back right up. Step off and hold the arms open, then pull the tractor (or force the rear wheel) back that inch, and slide them right on. You have lug tires, so stepping on a lug to move the tractor backwards is perhaps the easiest for you. Hook up the pto before the arms, and then the top link last, as you can force the position to fit by lowering or raising the rams. (Of cause you are not supposed to have the engine running) :rolleyes: Takes a maximum of two minutes from ready to back up till hooked up and on the go, when you find the right way to do it. You may have to try a few times, and perhaps doing things in another order works better for you.

Check chains, Well ideally they would keep your pto shaft from parting and making a mess of things, if you partially looses the implement. I don't use them, just makes sure the finger snappers are in place on all hook up points, and then I put my trust in that.

Looking forward to hearing how well that thing mows ;-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3

pfrederi

I use the chains as the ground i cut was very rough and uneven with depressions etc.  

I made up a simple dolly keep it under the front of the mower. 2x6 scraps an some cheap casters. Makes it easy to move around the storage area.  Also gets her up high enough to line up with 3 pt.  Also lets you move the deck around a bit to get the 3 point arms hooked up. (Skipper move the tract I move the deck 2 different solutions) 

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

• Like 4

Skipper

Looks like pfrederi also has non fixed hitch pins (they look like they can slide) and that means you get even more space and flexibility to hook up. You might even be able to drive right into the perfect spot! Brilliant idea!

• Like 3

pfrederi

Yes they slide in and out makes hook up fairly easy

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

• Like 3